Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#16098 - 09/19/05 09:44 AM Madrid: Getting from Airport to Hotel Via Metro?
Mawmed Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Good Morning to all,

I will be arriving to Madrid within the week, and was wondering can anyone help me with some basic information. I would like to use the Metro from the Airport to my hotle near Plaza Puerta Del Sol. Can anyone help me with, where to purchase a Metro Card at the airport, and which Metro I should take, along with where exactly I would need to get out of the Metro.

I know that this may sound a bit lame, I have travelled a bit in my life time, however, I don't usually travel alone, and this time I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Spanish is not very good, and after traveling all night, I will be a bit weary. If I can aquire the information ahead of time, that will make my trip to the Hotel a bit smoother.

I was also wondering, is anyone else going to be in Madrid the from the 25 SEP to 02 OCT and would like to meet for a drink, not trying to be forward, just some friendly conversation.

Buenas Dias,
Margaret

#16099 - 09/19/05 01:36 PM Re: Madrid: Getting from Airport to Hotel Via Metro?
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Hi Margaret - here is a link to the Madrid Metro website in English. You can plan your route there by entering a start and finish point.
http://www.metromadrid.es/default.asp?id=294
I think it is best that you look youself, so that you become familiar with the metro and the changes of train that you need to make. There are many posts in this bulletin board about the metro. Try a search and see how you get on.
A 10 journey ticket will cost you 5.80 Euros - well worth it and can be purchased at any metro ticket office. Ask for a "Metrobus de diez".

Note that it quite a walk from arrivals in Barajas Airport to the Metro.
Good luck and enjoy your trip. Please post again to let us knwow how it went.
Robbieroy

#16100 - 09/19/05 05:36 PM Re: Madrid: Getting from Airport to Hotel Via Metro?
JA Offline

Loc: usa
Hi,

I would suggest that you consider taking a van. It is a long walk (particularly if carrying luggage). If you are city-alert you will notice that there are quite a few fellows just hanging around. It is like in any big city with the difference that pickpockets in the morning train are a plague. We were openly jostled by a trio (two women and a distinguished looking guy) in the Metro. They will ask you the time and try to engage you in a conversation; if you are tired and not very alert they will take something.

This post is not meant to scare but simple to suggest that if you arrive tired and exhausted you may want to consider the van service. I have done the Metro thing a couple of times.

Good look and enjoy SP.

#16101 - 10/04/05 06:34 AM Re: Madrid: Getting from Airport to Hotel Via Metro?
Porque Bronco Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Tip: change trains to the brown line at Mar de Cristal.That way you avoid the crowds (and pickpockets)going to Nuevos Ministerios.

#16102 - 10/04/05 11:52 PM Re: Madrid: Getting from Airport to Hotel Via Metro?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have done some experimenting and have found the easiest trip to Sol from Barajas is to change at Colombia (line 9-Arganda del Rey) and then at Principe de Vergara (line 2-Cuatro Caminos). There are fewer stops and an up escalator to connect in each station.

#16103 - 10/05/05 01:21 AM Re: Madrid: Getting from Airport to Hotel Via Metro?
kathnkim Offline

Loc: australia
From airport I took the bus # 200 from out the front of the arrivals area. From there, the bus landed at the Metro (avenida de america I think it was called).

Went two stops to Principe de Vergara on Line No nine (destination Arganda del Rey). Changed to line no 2 (red, destination Cuantro? Caminos)and went 4 stops to Sol.

Very easy! It was my first trip to Europe (and solo) and I managed. Bought my ticket from the guy at the billetes counter (cheap).

Went back the airport the subway all the way. Involved lots of changing lines but again it is manageable.

Good luck and enjoy Madrid. It's fantastic!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1849 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments