Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13881 - 05/27/03 02:08 PM Seville - Gibraltar - Granada
Quixotic Offline

Loc: Washington D.C.
Hi
I will be in Seville Sunday July 6th, 2003 and plan on visiting Gibraltar the next day and eventually ending up in Granada. Now I know i can get to Seville by AVE but when on the RENFE website there were no trains to Gibraltar from Seville or trains from Gibraltar to Granada. So my options would be bus and/or car rental, right???. I dont mind using the bus (it would save alot of money) but i have no clue where to begin. Any recommendations?
Thanks

#13882 - 05/28/03 10:07 AM Re: Seville - Gibraltar - Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
You can take a bus from Sevilla to La Linea/Algeciras, and cross into Gibralter from there. To get to Granada, there's a train called the Andalucia Express runs Algeciras-Granada a few times a day.

#13883 - 05/29/03 04:26 PM Re: Seville - Gibraltar - Granada
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I vacationed in Andalucia during Xmas and New Years a few years ago and this is one area where I think having a car is a great advantage, depending on what your plans are. After flying in to Madrid and taking the AVE to Sevilla, I picked up the car at the Santa Justa train station in Sevilla and returned it 10 days later in Cordoba. No drop off charge for returning to a different location. In between, I drove to Cadiz, Gibraltar, Algeciras and took ferry to Morocco, Marbella, Malaga, Granada and finally Cordoba. There were a lot of other interesting towns in between but I won't bore you with the details. All the roads were good. Near Marbella there is a stretch where you can either take a toll highway which is faster, or a scenic route with no toll.

At that time, the cheapest rental I could find was with www.alamo.com and so if your budget can stand it, I would definitely look into renting a car. It's just worth the flexibility and range that it gives you, having the wheels to go wherever and whenever you want, especially in a vast area like Andalucia. However, if saving money is paramount and you only want to see those 3 places you mentioned, then perhaps the bus route is the way to go. Have a nice trip!

#13884 - 05/29/03 04:29 PM Re: Seville - Gibraltar - Granada
JoeM Offline

Loc: Canada
How far/expensive is it Granada - Gibraltar via the train?

I might want to pop down to say I have.

Accomodations expensive in Gibraltar if I want to stay a day or two?

#13885 - 05/30/03 08:31 AM Re: Seville - Gibraltar - Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
The train costs about 16 euros and takes 4 1/2 hours Granada-Algeciras (I think you can get off at La Linea). I don't know anything about staying in Gib.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1620 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments