Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13622 - 03/15/03 12:04 AM Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
timandmaria2 Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, California
I have read good feedback on some of the previous postings in regards to travel by train. I understand that one can purchase tickets at the airport, train station, or the website. What is best leaving from Madrid to Malaga on September 14th? Which ticket should I purchase, since they offer different types of passes? How much do they cost? Is the cost less expensive to purchase through Spain's resources than the United States?

#13623 - 03/15/03 09:54 PM Re: Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I love the train and just traveled between Madrid and Málaga. The train shows a movie between Madrid and Córboba and takes a bit more than 4 hours. I took a Talgo and the round trip cost was 84.80€. I purchased the ticket when I first arrived in Madrid.

I find Madrid to be a bit challenging for a female traveling alone so I head to Toledo when I arrive in Spain in order to rest and recover from the jetlag. (Not to mention the fact that I love Toledo.) Anyway .... this trip, I landed in Madrid, took the Metro to Atoche train station, advanced purchased by 2 days my ticket to Málaga, and purchased my ticket to Toledo. I had 6 minutes to make the next Toledo train and I made it with time to spare!!! I am getting better at this stuff.

The country side between Córdoba and Málaga is spectacular!!! You miss all that on a plane.

#13624 - 03/17/03 11:03 PM Re: Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
timandmaria2 Offline

Hi Sel,

You mentioned your trip from Madrid to Cordoba was about 4 hours, therefore another 2 hours to Malaga? The cost was 84.80 euros roundtrip? I understand the Talgo train is about a 4 hour and 35 minute trip to Malaga and the Intercity train is a 6 hour and 30 minute trip. Is this correct? Anyway, it sounds as if the Spanish rail pass is well worth the extra dollars for travel within other destinations. Did you only stop at Cordoba? How many days where you in Spain? Thanks a lot for the information.

#13625 - 03/17/03 11:07 PM Re: Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
timandmaria2 Offline

Hi Sel!

It's me again, I see that you did go to Malaga. What was your experience in Malaga and what would you reccommen? My family and I are staying at the Club Caronte on Mijas-Costa.

Thanks

#13626 - 03/18/03 06:15 AM Re: Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Eurorail? confused
In most of Spain it's Renfe (Red Naciónal de Ferrocariles Españoles). In Portugal it's CP (Caminhos Portugueses) and in France it's still SNCF (Societé Nacional de Chemins de Fer Francaises). Although you may find some thru train (Lisbon to Paris, for example) each country's railroad operates independently from the other(s). rolleyes
The Eurorail concept is a figment of some Travel Agent's imagination. In reality, there ain't no such animal. eek

#13627 - 03/18/03 03:10 PM Re: Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
timandmaria2 Offline

Eddie,

I have become more familiar with theRenfo(name) train station in Madrid through their website postings of day & time schedules, including costs. We will be able to purchase tickets at the airport, and it will be very convenient for my family and I. As for the name Eurorail, you may be right about it being a fabricated title, although, this is what I know it to be called through U.S travel information.
Thanks

#13628 - 03/18/03 04:40 PM Re: Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
sel Offline

The Eurorail pass does exist and it is a good value if you are visiting several countries. There is another pass that can be purchased if you are only traveling in Spain. I have not used it because of its limitations. You get a certain number of travel days with it. I just buy my ticket. A roundtrip ticket is discounted by a set percentage if you purchase it at the same time.

For the Renfe long distance trains you must specify your dates and times of travel. These can be changed, but there are rules that you have to follow. For the shorter trips like from Madrid to Toledo, you can buy a same day round trip ticket and you do not have to specify which train. You just hop on. You can also reserve spots on specific trains if you want for separate days.

The Madrid-Málaga ticket shows a charge of 53€ for the Madrid-Málaga leg and 31.80€ for the return trip for a total of 84.80€. The discount is applied to the return portion. For the Madrid-Toledo trip, the ticket shows 8.30€ to Toledo and .60€ for the return trip for a total of 8.90€.

The Atoche station is huge. There are three part. As you face the station , to the far left is the Metro, in the middle are the regional trains and the Cercanias, to the far right is the section for the long distance Ave and Talgo trains. There is a tropical garden in this section of the station. Many of the Talgo trains leave from the second level of this section. There are platforms on both levels with the same numbers so be certain you go to the correct level.

It takes at least an hour to do make the metro to Atoche trip. Don't be in a rush. There are often lines to purchase train tickets. You take a number and wait your turn. There are three catagories of numbers: same day, future trip, and something else.

I write what I want on paper in Spanish form so I am certain of the dates and times and trains when I get to the window. This time I had a very nice fellow helping me, but last summer they were very rude. It is loud and hard to hear in the train station so I have found it easier to communicate when I have my needs written on paper to back me up!!

Your ticket is also your pass to get through the turnstiles so keep it handy. You often need it to get to your platform AND to get out once you arrive. Madrid is the only place where we found this to be true.

The Renfe wesite is accurate. If you are traveling with kids 12 and under, they travel for half price.

I love the trains of Spain!!! I was incorrect about my travel time between Madrid and Málaga. It was scheduled to be 4 hours and 35 minutes but was longer because of some construction. Still it was not 6 hours. There are huge tunnels and gorgeous mountains between Córboba and Málaga!!!!

The stops are very quick!!! I think there might have been four, but only Córdoba was a real stop. The rest were the traditional rolling stops!!! If you are getting on or off the train you have to be ready because the stops are often extremely short!!

#13629 - 03/18/03 04:42 PM Re: Eurorail from Madrid to Malaga
sel Offline

I have a lot to say about Málaga and no time to say it!! I have to finish unpacking and repack for Spring Break. I promise I will tell you more about Málaga in a couple weeks. I actually stayed in the city.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1781 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments