Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12400 - 03/19/02 02:44 PM One way flights to Spain?
eli Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Does anyone know what is required to get a one way ticket to another country? I'll have a student visa for at least a year, and I've looked up fares for my trip, and it seems to be cheaper for me to get a one way ticket there, a two way home for Christmas, etc. ( i don't plan on ever being home for long again). I've heard that it's really hard to get a one way ticket. Is this true?

#12401 - 03/19/02 06:43 PM Re: One way flights to Spain?
Roe Offline

Loc: california
I bought a one-way ticket to spain with a tourist visa. Just tell them that you donīt know when you will return and you prefer to buy it there. All that happens is that you are likely to get searched, and that is it- at least for me.

#12402 - 03/20/02 07:15 AM Re: One way flights to Spain?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
eli ... I donīt know how hard it is to get a one way ticket, but they are generally very expensive. You might want to consider an open ended ticket. These are round trip tix but the return date is left open for you to book when you know when you are returning. Generally on open ended tickets you canīt get the cheapest rates or APEX fares. So, you end up paying a little more for the convenience.

When I flew here after our wedding last spring, I looked into a one way ticket and was quoted in the ball park of $700 dollars (on Air France). However, the round trip ticket on Air France was $450 (they were having a spring fare sale). So, I took the round trip ticket and never used the return trip.

#12403 - 03/22/02 11:13 PM Re: One way flights to Spain?
eli Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if I could get a round trip and not use the other part, since it is definately cheaper to get a round trip ticket. Do you know what would happen if I bought another ticket from the same airline? Would I get in trouble or anything?

#12404 - 03/23/02 05:03 AM Re: One way flights to Spain?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Funny you should ask as I continue to sit here and wonder the same. However, I have since flown on Air France, and am flying with them again next week and have not had any problems (knock on wood). Sooo, unofficially I think you will be fine.

Have fun!

#12405 - 03/23/02 08:39 AM Re: One way flights to Spain?
nevado Offline

I'll second Chica's unofficial "it's okay" line- I've done it too (one time Lufthansa even credited the miles for the unused portion)! smile I know you can't skip a leg and expect to get the return back (like flying from Chicago to Madrid with a stop in London and not using the London-Madrid portion and trying to use the Madrid-London-Chicago return). Does that make sense? I know that's not your case but just thought I'd mention it.

#12406 - 03/23/02 12:53 PM Re: One way flights to Spain?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Try Council Travel. www.counciltravel.com. They specialize in student travel, and they sell one-way tickets for a reasonable price. They also sell roundtrip tickets with stays up to a year, and you can change your return for a not very big fee. Call 1 800 2COUNCIL , and they should be able to answer your questions. Lucky you, studying in Spain for a year. Not doing that is the biggest regret I have. I'm sending my kids for sure!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1843 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments