Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11977 - 11/23/01 08:23 AM London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
beckham Offline

Loc: ireland
I have just under 3hrs for my connectling flight to Madrid in London Heathrow, with all the new security measures etc, is that enough time? Whats the new security measure like there now?

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11978 - 11/24/01 01:22 AM Re: London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
All I can tell you is my one experience at Grief'row...er...Heathrow: Three hours is cutting it close...

Way back in the late 80's I was at Deathrow...er...Heathrow, and had everything I owned, carried or had ingested, carefully scrutinized by security. Mind you that this was my first overseas flight, so, since I didn't know what to expect, this was quite a departure (sorry :D) from the normal US domestic flights of that time. It was nice to feel safe, but man, the security checkpoint clearance took at least two to two and one-half hours!

Bring a book...

#11979 - 12/06/01 11:02 PM Re: London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
Yikes! We have only 2 hours and I had hoped to do a little shopping! If you've been cleared in NY and are connecting, don't they cut you a break?

#11980 - 12/07/01 08:34 AM Re: London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I think you'll be okay. I was there over the summer, and I only had a couple of hours. My friend and I ended up sitting around for at least an hour!

#11981 - 12/07/01 02:44 PM Re: London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Chica369, I almost always fly via Heathrow with 1 and a half to 3 hours there. They don't cut anyone a break. Security is strict, and everyone has to go through metal detectors between flights. (The machines are more sensitive than most. I've been frisked twice - apparently because of buckles.)I always see and hear people try to cut through with a connecting flight as an excuse, but it doesn't work. That said, I've never missed a connection. An hour and a half is just right to go through security and also change terminals, which you have to do if you're flying in from America and going on to Spain.

What I don't know is if the security measures are any stricter since 9-11, because I haven't been there since. I would imagine they were already strict enough.

#11982 - 12/08/01 05:52 AM Re: London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Diana writes:
<< ... I've been frisked twice - apparently because of buckles. ...>>

Maybe the Security people like you, Diana. laugh

<< That said, I've never missed a connection. An hour and a half is just right to go through security and also change terminals, which you have to do if you're flying in from America and going on to Spain. >>

We're missing something here. Beckham will come to LHR from the Irish Republic, another EU member country, and not from the U.S. He won't have to clear Immigration & Customs. Any delay he encounters will entail picking up his checked luggage, checking in for his connecting flight and going thru Security. Barring unforeseen circumstances, 3-hours should be more than enough time, even if he does have to change Terminals. rolleyes

#11983 - 12/13/01 09:48 PM Re: London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
I have been traveling a lot lately, and I have allowed 2 hours for International and 1 hour for domestic and I have been fine. It has taken me about 15-30 minutes to get through all the new security. But wear clean socks, they may ask you to take off your shoes.

roses... laugh

#11984 - 01/09/02 08:00 PM Re: London Heathrow to Madrid: Enough time?
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
Just did Heathrow-Madrid, and Barcelona-Heathrow-Dulles. Security did not take long at all - the lines moved very fast. An hour and a half works just fine.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2084 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments