MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90760 - 03/29/12 05:55 AM Spain's General Labor Strike Today
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Latest Blog Entry: "Spain's General Labor Strike Today"

Today is a General Labor Strike in Spain against labor reform. That's not to say no one is going to work, but enough so you'd notice. Some small shops and restaurants are closed because they don't have the personnel to stay open. Even the TV station, Telemadrid, stopped broadcasting.

Most of Spain's public transportation is partially paralyzed, too, starting from midnight last night. Buses, metros, and regional trains (say they) are offering "Servicios Minimos" or "Minimum Services". Many lines are only offering one or two bus and metro vehicles per line, causing longer-than-usual delays to go from Point A to Point B. I've just heard from a friend that her metro strain was almost empty at Madrid's "rush hour" this morning, but had to wait 20+ minutes for it to arrive.
(Read on, McDuff...)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90761 - 03/29/12 02:08 PM Re: Spain's General Labor Strike Today [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
awful dismal typical to a govt that only has 100 days in power??? They should have done this a long time ago if they were real...

#90767 - 04/01/12 06:17 AM Re: Spain's General Labor Strike Today [Re: pedmar]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

well everybody there survive the strike....?

#90770 - 04/01/12 12:18 PM Re: Spain's General Labor Strike Today [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
They've survived the strike, yes. Now let's see how many will survive the labor reform.
Apart from one container being set on fire in Madrid 50 meters from the Puerta del Sol, I hadn't read of a single violent or confrontational episode. Barcelona, however, was another matter, but I also think the press tends to focus "the few bad apples" and not on the vast majority of peaceful protesters. I do suppose it's more visually stunning to see baton-swinging cops and streets set afire than a bunch of people standing still and shouting slogans.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90771 - 04/01/12 12:22 PM Re: Spain's General Labor Strike Today [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

of course the media overblows, but we know better, right ::)
yes now Iberia is doing spot strikes on certain dates first from April 9th...due to the start of Iberia Express a low cost alternative that is causing some contract disputes.
The reform is a hard pill but I know it was coming I been telling my Spanish branches a long time ago, belt tighening is needed.
That is why I said Spain has change, they didnt realise all the good times was on EU money, raising them to an more even standard from countries in the north. I know I lived those old times there...
Happy Palm Sunday

Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1621 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments