filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London

#83411 - 03/22/06 08:06 AM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hmmm.. I'll believe it when I see it but I do hope it's true. xfingers

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#83412 - 03/22/06 10:58 AM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
I keep my hope, but there's still a long way to walk.

#83413 - 03/22/06 04:15 PM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
La Artista Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Hopefully this sentiment can spread to other parts of the world. But I suppose the US has to foster these ideas instead of indirectly causing them because of our big-bully attitude. :o (

Here's to open-mindedness and common goals of hope/unity everywhere, especially in our own country.

#83414 - 03/22/06 06:46 PM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Been a while since I've visited, MM...but with news like this, I couldn't stay away. This is good news, but we've seen "treguas" before, most recently in 1998 in addition to the one declared in 1989. Those didn't seem to last.

The bottom line is there's a larger enemy to fight here, and ETA is lumped in with the rest of the west when the discussion turns to al-Qaeda. ETA realizes this, and, in a moment of weakness, has agreed to lay down arms...por ahora.

I welcome any sign of capitulation on the part of the etarras, as I do not advocate this sort of struggle for political purposes. It looks as if the no dialogue/no concession stance of Spain's government begun prior to Z's reign has borne fruit.

When the enemy is so apparent, it's easy to band together against it. ETA is one of those "easy" targets. Spain in general, and Basques specifically, including those in my family, have rejected this violent path as a means to an end.

As a footnote: I respectfully disagree with RLS's opinion of the US as a "big bully" since I also see al-Qaeda as an "easy" target from the perspective of their agenda as it relates to freedom. Would that the world would be so united in its rejection of violence perpetrated by al-Qaeda as Spain has been in recent years in its anti-ETA actions.

#83415 - 03/23/06 05:46 AM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Any news of this nature is positive and necessary if Spain is to finally resolve this problem. Plus, the circumstances are very different from the last one in 1998. In that time, ETA wanted to recover and reorganize. It seems that ETA is weaker today than it's ever been. But ETA never does anything without trying to gain from it.

Chances are it will try to use this as leverage in negotiating, and it's going to get tricky and messy. The major political forces may band together against ETA, but that doesn't mean they have the same voice concerning Batasuna or the future of the Basque Country; and the other nationailist parties will want to benefit from this new situation.

The government will have to make concessions on certain issues, because that is what these processes are all about. The IRA in Northern Ireland was allowed, for example, to disarm in private.

What worries people is what those concessions will be.

So, any official step towards the end of violence must be taken as good news. We'll see what happens from here on.

#83416 - 03/23/06 09:11 AM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
As long as the negotiators on all sides do negotiate rather than play politics for their own purposes there will be a better chance of success. Agree with both Calibasco (good to see you back wave ) and Murdy in that the extent of the concessions will be crucial - asking too much will negate the peace process.

#83417 - 03/23/06 09:41 AM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Good to be back, Puna. Been a while, indeed... wink

#83418 - 03/23/06 09:50 AM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Talk is cheap. It is the action that will take some proving. Myself, I smell a con game.

#83419 - 03/23/06 05:48 PM Re: ETA announces a permanent ceasefire
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
"Would that the world would be so united in its rejection of violence perpetrated by al-Qaeda as Spain has been in recent years in its anti-ETA actions."

Yea weird isn't it, only the world is united in it's rejection of violence.
Except what their united against is violence and torure perpetrated by the "Bush/Blair USA/UK and neocolonial aggression both militarily and economically
I guess it depends on one's own perspective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2688 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments