Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#83076 - 07/14/05 08:02 PM Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain

Spain has always had a problem with water resources, with some regions having an excess of water while other were becoming real deserts.

Aznar's Government was in the verge of solving the problem with the National Water Plan (Plan Hidrográfico Nacional), which had the support of all regions (mainly Catalonia, Valencia, Murcia and Andalucía) except Aragon, in which PSOE made every demagogic effort to convinve people that they were going to thirst.

When PSOE accessed the government they cancelled the plan in exchange of nothing (but promises for the future). Now we have a extreme drought and no way to solve it. Only 10% of production can be collected from the fields.

And naturally, those who are loosing their way of life are demonstrating against the government.

Fernando

#83077 - 07/14/05 09:10 PM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
ABC reports 49,000,000 people marching in Murcia.
El País reports 27. laugh hehehee...

Difficult to solve draught when there's little water in the ground and no rain in the next months. I'm not so sure it's the government's fault that Spain is experiencing its worst draught in 50 years. The water table (level of subterranean water) is MUCH lower now, less water there, & harder to get.

Here's hoping SPAIN has RAIN this summer - but it's not likely to happen anytime soon. frown

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#83078 - 07/15/05 02:28 AM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
So true, MM!
Fernando, it's "Plan HIDROLOGICO Nacional", not hidrográfico.
And you forgot to report on the demonstration that took
place in LA MANCHA against Murcia, because Murcia
will receive a lot of water from La Mancha, which
is not precisely wet during these days.

#83079 - 07/19/05 08:06 AM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
Espe3 Offline

And that part of the issue is that they want water to feed their golf courses, which spain really shouldn´t have anyway because our climate isn´t favorable to them. Yes they should have water for crops, its priority but there isn´t much to give.

#83080 - 07/19/05 06:36 PM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Espe3: I agree with you on cutting back to the golf courses. Here in Phoenix, Arizona we have more golf courses than McDonald's rest. They are always saying on TV to "conserve water," "don't wash your car" "don't water your yard" yet all the golf courses have lush green grass 365 days a year. cool

#83081 - 07/21/05 07:36 AM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Fernando, I am a professional on the matter, and I can assure you that the "Plan Hidrológico Nacional" was not gonna solve the problem. It had some good things on it, and some really bad too. However, PSOE ideas about it are much worse. Politicians should realize the distribution and usage of water it's not a political issue, it's not "right" or "left". I'm sick of our two main political parties.

#83082 - 02/08/06 09:54 PM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
Agente Rural Offline

Loc: Canada
Desert Deweller said:
Quote:
I agree with you on cutting back to the golf courses. Here in Phoenix, Arizona we have more golf courses than McDonald's rest. They are always saying on TV to "conserve water," "don't wash your car" "don't water your yard" yet all the golf courses have lush green grass 365 days a year.
I issued a $175 fine this summer against a fastfood restuarant for repeated violations of the water conservation laws...

Who enforces the water-use/water conservation laws in Spain ?

#83083 - 02/10/06 04:14 AM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
I understand the Communidad de Madrid passed water restrictions last November. Not much publicity and nobody noticed because all it meant at that time was that the public fountains were turned off. However, from what I was told this week, come spring, Madrilenos won't be able to fill their swimming pools or water their lawns.

#83084 - 02/10/06 10:58 AM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Believe it or not there's a water shortage in SE England and the authorities are getting worried. There's been a year of below average rainfall and the water companies are hoping for a very wet Spring. Another factor is that everyone uses more water. Items such as dish-washers are commonplace nowadays.

#83085 - 02/13/06 03:12 AM Re: Huge Murcia rally against the governments water policy
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
The situation in Madrid is extremely severe. MAdrid is really above its growing capability, the city and metropolitan area consume much more water than is possible, but urban development keeps going on and on.
The last 10 years have been EXCEPTIONALLY good , specially wet, above normal.
Now, 10 years of water have been gone in just some months of extremely dry weather. This season is being almost normal, but... what has happened? normal is not enough for Madrid, the reservoirs keep on going down in spite of normal weather. The situation is CRITICAL and a dry spring or just normal spring will mean that during summertime Madrid will suffer EXTREME water shortage, that means, no water AT ALL during half day. In summer. Assume what this means for a city like Madrid.
The local government has been too lazy during the last year. Madrid's gardens were supposed not to be irrigated since July. The reality is that they have been for the most part. The same goes for the pools or golf courses. If the government is too irresponsable to see the facts, how is it possible to avoid the disaster?
Spain's water policy is this: "Let's wait, it will rain someday." eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2966 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments