Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#83217 - 10/31/05 11:58 AM Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Recent situacion in Jun, Granada, Spain underscores unintended consequence of Mr. Zapatero's electoral promise to make public housing more accessible.
Quote:
Squatters Invade [Jun] Granada village
By h.b.
Oct 31, 2005, 07:05
The small Granada village of Jun, with a population of 2,500 is making the news today. An estimated 50 squatters have taken over three buildings and barricaded themselves inside with padlocks and have even electrified some of the doors. The mayor of the village, José Antonio Rodíguez Salas, said some of the flats in the buildings taken were empty, while others were not and some owners had been evicted by the group. As many as 23 families are thought to have been evicted by the squatters
The squatters also called "okupas," demanded the properties at gunpoint from the mayor, Mr. Rodriguez (PSOE), by right of the new Ley del Suelo taking effect soon. They base their demands upon the description of the Ley de Suelo in news story published by El Mundo.

Quote:
Cuando intentas echarlos, te enseñan el recorte del periódico y te dicen que tienen derecho y que el Gobierno les da la razón. Pero esa ley todavía no ha entrado en vigor; era sólo un borrador ¿no?", pregunta.

When you try to throw them out, they show you the article in the paper and they say that they have Government support for their action. But this law is not in effect yet, it's only a draft" (rough translation)
The Mayor adds that the rest of the neighbors in Jun don't dare leave their homes for fear of losing their homes. Consequently, the mayor, Mr. Rodriguez, stated that he was going to request a permit to buy a gun! Here's what the mayor had to say about the hostile takeover in Spanish:

Quote:
Pero el alcalde mantiene una versión mucho menos tranquilizadora: "El resto de vecinos de Jun no se atreve a salir a la calle por miedo a que, al regresar, se hayan quedando sin casa. Es el primer domingo en que las calles están vacías".

Sus denuncias van más lejos. Afirma que el pasado lunes le amenzaron con una pistola en la cabeza cuando de dirigía al Consistorio. "Si nos expulsan te matamos," le dijeron. Desde entonces permanece las 24 horas acompañado de un policía que le hace de escolta. "Voy a pedir una licencia de armas para defenderme", añade, convencido de que están esperando a que se marchen del pueblo los medios de comunicación para agredirle. "Nos sentimos totalmente desprotegidos", [we feel totally unprotected]
Unfortunately not all apartments were vacant, some still had owners who are paying off their 30 years mortgage!
Here is the El Mundo article in Spanish.

The housing minister, Maria Antonia Trujillo, (PSOE)touted the future law as being a fair way to address the housing shortage in Spain. But I am sure she did not think that this was the way to go! eek
Quote:

The Costa Blanca News carried this article:
http://www.costablanca-news.com/news/local.htm#local3
Unoccupied properties must be rented out
By Tom Cain
The draft copy of the future Ley del Suelo, which housing minister María Antonia Trujillo intends to use to fight speculation in the property sector, includes a section that obliges owners of empty properties to occupy or rent them or face having them expropriated and sold.
Article nine of the draft law refers to the responsibilities of a property owner. It states that the owner of a residential property must use it for that purpose or rent it out to third parties. Article 27 states that where an owner fails to comply with his responsibilities as laid down by the new law the relevant administrative authority has the power to expropriate the property and sell it.
Minister Trujillo intends to prevent people from speculating in the property market by leaving homes unoccupied then selling them at a profit when values increase.
Opponents of the new law are asking the minister to define how a property would be classified as unoccupied, given that many people buy second homes for investment and holiday purposes. They say that more work needs to be done to establish the criteria on which such a decision could be based. MPs asked if it would be time occupied or the level of services consumed that would determine the status of a property.
eek

#83218 - 10/31/05 12:56 PM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Since the "okupas" took these apartments by force,my guess is that they'll be answered by force.

#83219 - 10/31/05 07:24 PM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Cannot leave the house unoccupied? What is the defintion of occupied? An old beat up couch, a refrig that does not work and filthy mattress on the floor to make it occupied. Or does someone have to be living in it several days a week. That smacks of left wing property control, use it or loose it.

#83220 - 11/01/05 09:14 AM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
TJGuy Offline

Loc: Florida
I remember some cases during Felipe's G's time when renters in a house stopped paying the rent and the owner could not throw them out of the apartment because the owner would be depriving the renters of a place to live. Wow!

#83221 - 11/01/05 09:41 AM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
The event referred to above shows, dramatically, just how desperate many people are in Spain to find somewhere to live. Many have been left behind by the property boom - on Spanish salaries it's no longer possible to buy a home. Small flats in Madrid cost more than in richer cities such as Berlin or Zurich, I believe. There are, meanwhile, some 4 million empty homes in Spain. This is one, but by no means the only, factor in keeping market prices high. There is no easy solution to the complex problem; there never is when the state, which is obliged to provide for its citizens, and the market, in the business of making money and obliged to do so when we're deling with big companies with shareholders, come into direct conflict. Many of the measures proposed by the current government are examples of state intervention in the market. But this is necessary to appease both sides of the social contract between the general population and market forces. When the market is left to its own devices it generates a seething, marginalised underclass. See above.

#83222 - 11/01/05 09:49 AM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
Oh yea we in the US have plenty of room to criticize Spain! Gee whiz I seem to recall something called "eminent domain" where if a freeway was going to be built, it was always routed through a working class neighborhood and thousands of people were displaced while some right wing politician gives the construction contracts to his "developer friends" who support his campaign and lifestyle!
Pay attention to what's happening at this very moment in New Orleans and the Gulf States, where the working class people are being screwed blue by the big insurance companys but if one is "hooked up" they are being compensated very quickly.
The hypocrisy, ignorance and especially the "who cares it's not happening to me!" attitude in the US is scary and plays right into the "Christian-Right Wing-Multi National Corp" Cabal.

#83223 - 11/01/05 10:25 AM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
And that reminds me of the so-called Land Grab law in Valencia - governed by the right - under which property developer consortiums - hardly needy - expropriated people's land and then gave them the bill for installing infrastructures. These usually included new roads to their profitable, gleaming, new holiday home complexes.

#83224 - 11/01/05 07:46 PM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Dear fulano, before you joined, there was already a thread about this very issue of emine...Supreme Court. The thread is titled, American Justice, the Good, and the Bad! it may interest you, since we all agree on the injustice of the outcome.

But, the irony continues. There is a group of California developers that are buying the country estates of Judge Stephens and Judge Seuter, and they are using this new "eminent domain" law that they themselves signed into law! Imagine that!

By the way, in no way is this a negative Spain thread, as you imply. If you do a Google News search of España you will find over 70 news stories. Everyone is indignant about this!

#83225 - 11/01/05 08:36 PM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
Point taken Booklady! but again I must say that we Norte Americanos can seem very arrogant at times if we focus on just one side of an issue which concerns the policies and problems of another independent republic such as Spain. I'm sure there are some innocent people suffering by having people moving into homes they own, and on the face of it, it seems very wrong, but what is the other side of the story? Are "Real Estate Agents" and "Developers" purchasing every desirable lot and home in Spain? Can the ordinary Spanish person afford a place of their own if prices for property are inflated by foreigners? I don't know all the answers but what I do know is that a situation like this can have dire and bizzare consequences that can really cause havoc if not addressed and remedied for the good of all the citizens of a country. Remember what happened to "Marie Antoinette" when she said "Let them eat Cake"!

#83226 - 11/01/05 08:36 PM Re: Unintended Consequence of Zapatero’s Campaign Promise : Ley Del Suelo
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Barry, it is my understanding that about half of young people between the ages of 20 and 34 still live with their families because they cannot find affordable housing.

Isn't the change from pesetas to euros partly to blame for all this? I was in Madrid in 2001 and read a few stories that housing was soaring because folks who had hidden their pesetas so they would not be taxed, "dinero negro," were the ones buying land and housing in 2001.

What is the impact on housing from other EU nationals wanting to buy vacation homes in Spain? Aren't they adding to the problem the Spaniards are having finding a home? Immigrants?

In a way what you describe, reminds me of Key West, Florida. the price of housing is so high and so many wealthy folks moved there that many of the Conchs have had to leave! Those that stay are those who already owned their home, or like my cousin, who lives with my aunt to help her pay the taxes on their home. Her taxes are three times what my aunt paid initially in 1958 for the home. Mobile homes are going for a quarter of a million dollars. eek Restaurants and shops cannot engage enough staff to work there because of housing!

If this keeps up, all Floridians will have to pack up and move to New Mexico! Well, after Wilma, that may not be a bad idea, hey Desert Dweller, know any inexpensive land over your way?
-------------------

Fulano, we cross posted! I agree, it is a terrible situation not to have a roof over your head. But these people terrorized a bunch of old people, that's not done! Jun is not Marbella, it's a small village with obreros, no wealthy Realtors were thrown out of their pisos!

As I said it was a law that had unintended consequences, initially it was supposed to address the problem of housing, but not in an aggressive manner, as these "okupados" did. They took advantage of the situation. It's unprescedented! eek

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1583 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments