Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81057 - 11/18/04 01:51 AM teaching burn out follow up question
Avril Offline

Loc: Athens, Georgia(UGA), USA
So I know this is really partially a question of opinion and individual to the person but is it worth it? Do the pros out weigh the cons? I don't know where to take my major essentially, I have spanish but I know in all honesty I need another major. Something to fall back on and to combine my languages with. (Im taking French too and considered changing my major to romance languages) Your Masters usually takes 2 to 3 years right? And a Ph.D. any where from 3 to 5, but the math doesn't add up, which of my numbers are wrong? I see what you are saying if I dont' like the grammar aspect don't get a Ph.D. in Spanish, very insightful thank you. I really want to travel, and I guess getting a Ph.D. doesn't so much allow that when you're in school? I see a Ph.D. is not for everyone. Do all Ph.D.'s require this much time, I always thought it would be around the age of 28. In advance I would like to thank you for all your help I really do appreciate it!

#81058 - 11/18/04 01:53 AM Re: teaching burn out follow up question
Avril Offline

READ THIS FIRST... my answer from the last response... Well I know there are ways to teach in Spain I have been doing study abroad research and see stuff all the time about teaching or working abroad. It may very well be cercumstancial and for short times only. I dont' have the specifics I would have to look in to it, I know if anything though they would want me to teach english. Very true why would they want me to teach spanish when they can do it better. I know getting a Ph.D. takes an extremely dedicated worth ethic and lots of motivation. I love to research but the time it would take off my life is something that does make me think twice. Thanks you so much for your input I love to hear people who have actually been through it, I didnt' know it was 34. Do you think it was worth it? I know the ratio of years lost to money you would have earned is on the down hill side, you're better off getting a masters and stopping there. Dont get a Ph.D. for the money I have heard that. There are research professors and nonresearch professors though too right? ... Let me post a question.

#81059 - 11/18/04 10:54 AM Re: teaching burn out follow up question
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Was it worth it? For me...yes. But, would I recommend a person to do it? If it were a female, I would suggest that she must be incredibly strong and dedicated. Spanish grad programs are great for all through the Masters level...but at the doctoral level the faculty becomes much more territorial and gender plays an enormous role.

To say that there are professors who do research and others who do not is misleading. All universities and colleges require research ("Publish or perish"). However, there are a number (unfortunately, a large number) of faculty who once they get tenure (6-7 years)they stop doing it. Does the university or college care? Yes. Can they do anything about it? Not really...only that the salary increments are less than for others.

Sheryl

#81060 - 11/19/04 01:57 AM Re: teaching burn out follow up question
Avril Offline

Interesting, so all professors are hired on the same prerequisites that they will do research some just stop after a while. I didn't know that. How difficult is it to teach as a professor with just a masters, or are only part time jobs given to those with only masters? Are all Ph.D.'s that time consuming? It is sad/frustrating but true that men are payed higher in the "academy" than women I was reading a very interesting a disheartening article on it the other day. Is is possible to work for a while in another career- where I could travel- and then be a professor if I switch careers when I'm older and begin working on my Ph.D. then and be a grad assistant teacher as I work on my Ph.D. would anyone hire me? Thanks again for your help....so much!

#81061 - 11/19/04 05:56 AM Re: teaching burn out follow up question
Meg Offline

Loc: Madrid via Pennsylvania
I agree with Sheryl in that you have to be very dedicated and really love what you're doing if you're going to get a Ph.D. I have an M.A. and I started a Ph.D. but I left the program after one year for several reasons.

First, I think I was just tired of being a student because I went straight from the B.A. to the M.A. to the Ph.D. and I just really needed a break from studying. So, yes, Avril, you can take some time between degrees to work and go back and get your Ph.D. later. I think this is what most people do because I was always one of the youngest in my classes.

Also, I just really felt like I didn't fit in with the Ph.D. program. What I was really interested in was teaching-- not writing books and articles. However, the rest of the students in my classes seemed to only care about trying to get published and going to conferences to present their latest research. I discovered that this really wasn't for me. I also didn't like the atmosphere in general of the program. I felt like everyone was constantly in a competition with everyone else (I didn't feel this way at the B.A. or M.A. level) and they all thought they were better than everyone else. There was a lot of "showing off" in class, and I just really didn't like their attitudes (I certainly don't mean to imply that this happens everywhere--this was just my experience).

Avril, you have plenty of time to decide if you want to go for a Ph.D. You can always wait and see how you feel after doing a Masters to decide if you want to continue because it is possible to teach at a university with only a Masters; although you'd have a better chance with a Ph.D.

#81062 - 11/19/04 08:37 PM Re: teaching burn out follow up question
Avril Offline

Thank you both for all your help, I really appreciate it! I will keep all of that in mind and I know it will help me down the road and along the way! You're awesome!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3037 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments