Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#81312 - 05/29/05 10:07 PM Argentina
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I decided to use some of my frequent-flyer miles and just booked a trip to Argentina for three weeks beginning November 15. I'd like to try and combine seeing Buenos Aires and getting some Spanish-language instruction there along with trying to see at least a little bit of the rest of this very-large country. Any suggestions from other Madridman members who have already been to Argentina would be very much appreciated.

#81313 - 06/03/05 10:44 AM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I am also going to be in Argentina because of my Fulbright teacher exchange. I will be leaving in July and returning to NY around Christmas time. I am hoping to travel around the country too! It seems like the distances from city to city are enormous and that it is common to take overnight buses.

I will be in the Northwestern most part of Argentina, in the city of Jujuy. I have been reading a lot about the country and the area I will be living in, but I am just as clue-less rolleyes as you...so, I hope that others respond to your post.

#81314 - 06/03/05 11:00 AM Re: Argentina
jabch Offline

My neighbors next door are from Argentina, if you have any specific questions let me know and I can ask them.

#81315 - 06/03/05 11:38 AM Re: Argentina
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Oh, how envious I am! I have been to Argentina, but just to Buenos Aires, and for a very short stay. It was very nice. The highlight for me was the food. (I adore food!) The steaks were truly out of this world - I've never had such fantastic beef anywhere else. The accompanying salads were also excellent. It's a lovely city with a European feel. Wish I could help you more... Do let us know how it goes, and esperanza, enhorabuena!

#81316 - 06/03/05 03:13 PM Re: Argentina
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
We went to Buenos Aires twice, loved it. Many different neighborhoods (I was told their was a chinatown, we went and saw two or three restauraunts close to each other, don´t bother). Stayed right bon Florida and Corriente. Awesome place to stay, and cheapish hotels, a good one was called Liberty or New York or something, but it has a big Statue of Liberty on its sign. Friendly and clean. Let me know how it is expensive-wise. when we went the economic crisis was in full swing and things were extremely cheap. Just wondering how it has picked up there. You can also take a boat/bus ride to Montevideo, Uruguay (where we lived). The boat is about 3 hours and the bus after about3-4 as well. Brazil is not too far off although the boarder town (chui) is nothing all that great, and if your ffrom the us you´ll have to pay $100 for a visa. Remember the seasons are opposite the US. It´s now almost full winter there. No snow or anything, but forget the beach.

#81317 - 06/03/05 08:04 PM Re: Argentina
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
I thought you'd been banned Richie!

#81318 - 06/03/05 09:42 PM Re: Argentina
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
ditravelphoto: richie was never banned but did lose the right to post messages due to circumstantial evidence against him - which now seems unsubstantiated. He's since been reinstated. But don't worry. I'll keep my eye on everyone for suspicious behavior. You can be sure of that.

Now, back to the topic.....

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#81319 - 06/04/05 10:08 PM Re: Argentina
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
Last weekend over Memorial Day I used a 25% Borders discount coupon to purchase four books on Argentina and/or Buenos Aires specifically as well as a couple of maps. My inclination is to spend most of the time in Buenos Aires and attend Spanish-language classes at a school there. Last year in Madrid I found this to be a wonderful way to meet people. (I wish there was a BuenosAiresman.com web site.) One of the instructors at Instituto Cervantes in New York who is from Argentina has recommended to me a couple of schools as well as a place to rent an apartment for a short-stay. I might also fly up to Iguazú Falls for a long weekend.
Thanks jacch for offering to pass along any questions I may have to your Argentine neighbors. As my plans firm up I may take you up on this.
It would be fun, esperanza, to compare notes on our respective experiences either in Buenos Aires or in New York after we return in December.

#81320 - 06/05/05 02:53 PM Re: Argentina
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Arthur, Iguazu is well worth a trip - it's stunning. But the best side to be on (best views of the falls) is the Brazilian side, and for that you'll need a visa. You may want to visit Brazil anyway, since you're in the area. I actually liked Brazil more than Argentina, and Rio de Janeiro just blew me away. I'd love to return some day. Granted, I saw little of Argentina - you'll get to know it much better. (I spent part of my childhood in the rainforest north of Brazil - a lot of what I saw in Brazil reminded me of it.)

#81321 - 06/06/05 10:00 AM Re: Argentina
jabch Offline

Arthurg:

My sister just visited Argentina, Chile and Brazil. She suggests that you spend most of your time in Buenos Aires, unless you like rural sight-seen. She mentioned that instead of trying to visit more of Argentina you should go to Rio de Janeiro, that it's so worth it. She visited also the wineries in Chile and says they are fine, but worth only a short visit. She wishes she had spent most of her time between Buenos Aires and Rio. She also said that you save some luggage space and money for very affordable high-quality wool sweaters and leather jackets in Argentina. She brought me a sweater from Argentina, and people keep asking where I got it from, and I can’t resist just saying...Argentina!!!
cool

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3010 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments