Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81294 - 05/11/05 05:50 AM Do NYC cabs hold 4 persons plus luggage?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, I am heading to NYC next Sunday. We are a party of four and will stay there for one week. I was checking our transportation options from JFK to our Midtown hotel and have to choose between a shared van, or a taxi.

The van is 17$ per person (the van holds up to 7 people to any destination in Midtown), or 75$ if we book a private van (probably the 7 extra bucks will be worth). But I have read that there is a flat rate for a taxi to Manhattan and it is 45$.

My question is: will a taxi accomodate four adults plus their luggage, or will we be forced to catch two ones?

Thanks in advance.

#81295 - 05/11/05 11:00 AM Re: Do NYC cabs hold 4 persons plus luggage?
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
I don't know about cabs, but you might also consider taking the train depending on which airport you are arriving at. I had a whole day layover at Kennedy on a trip to Madrid last year and took the AirTran from the airport into NYC. Very convenient, you catch it at the airport and it connects to the Metro/Subway system, for about $5. Here is a link for more information:
AIRTRAN

It is fairly new and when I took it a year ago, very uncrowded until you actually hit the subway system. But then again, I got in at 700am, so I was in prime commute time. No train from Laguardia though, but all these options: Laguardia Transportation

#81296 - 05/11/05 11:44 AM Re: Do NYC cabs hold 4 persons plus luggage?
Torrales Offline

Thanks for your input.

I had already considered AirTrain and, if it were only me, it would be my first choice for sure, because I like trains and I would like to try this new one that didn't run when I was last there in Sep'02. Besides, it is cheaper (5$ AirTrain + 1,5$ Subway).

My two concerns are:
- one of my companions is not too keen of travelling by subway with luggage (but, maybe, can be convinced)
- we should take AirTrain to Jamaica, then line E up to Lexington Av/53rd, then transfer to the green line (6, I think) until 33rd street, and then walk three blocks until 31st at Lexington, our final destination. Anyone knows if the E/6 transfer is easy carrying luggage (i.e., escalators available, short corridors,...)?

#81297 - 05/11/05 01:59 PM Re: Do NYC cabs hold 4 persons plus luggage?
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
cabs do hold 4 persons but no more.
But one person may have to sit upfront. Problem is luggage, Will it all fit in the trunk???

I wouldn't take the subway with four people plus you will have to transfer. I usually take the air tran but I usually travel alone. There are shuttles that charge a lot less from JFK and drop you off at a major transportation hub like Grand Central Station or Penn Station. They charge anywhere from $12-$19 a person.

With four people take a taxi and make your life easier with door to door service.
You can also call A car service call Carmel. I think the number is 800.666.6666. (easy ehh)
They charge like $45-

#81298 - 05/12/05 05:53 AM Re: Do NYC cabs hold 4 persons plus luggage?
Torrales Offline

Thank you very much for your help. We'll see how big are our luggages (knowing two of them, I hope not to need a movers' truck rolleyes ) and then decide if a taxi or a shuttle.

#81299 - 05/16/05 03:49 PM Re: Do NYC cabs hold 4 persons plus luggage?
jabch Offline

Last Decemeber we were a party of 5 and the taxi didn't let us in on the taxi. Maximum 4. So 3 of us had to go in one cab and the other 2 in another cab.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1718 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments