Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#80699 - 04/19/06 05:10 AM Help from Brit posters required!!!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
All Brits living in Spain - I need your help, well to be precise I need your feedback. help I've got a new website aimed at helping Brits abroad catch up with what's happening at home. I've tried to include as many relevant links as possible, but I'm sure I've left some out. I'd be very grateful if you can think of new links to add in. Many thanks in anticipation....

(website was here - a MadridMan edit)

#80700 - 04/19/06 11:37 AM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
nice site, good idea. best of luck!

#80701 - 04/19/06 05:01 PM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
filbert, you know better than to post a link to your own website! We have this policy in place for years now - as seen on the front page of the message board. It states:
Quote:
STRICT POLICY: We allow NO ADVERTISEMENTS or self-promotions of products, websites, or services. You may, however, place a link & description in the signature file of your "my profile" and then participate in normal, non-promotional discussions.
Sorry!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#80702 - 04/20/06 04:56 AM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for that edel. Maybe you can make a similar site for backhomeIreland!

Thought you were a bit harsh there MadridMan (not only have I always tried to help others with tips and advice on this board, but I've publicised your site many times elsewhere rolleyes ). But I suppose "rules is rules" and I've put the site on my profile so people can look if they choose.

#80703 - 04/20/06 07:56 PM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Sorry filbert. I have to apply these rules to everyone, even if the user is one of our original members and has posted thousands of helpful messages. If I give you permission to do so I'll have to do the same for others and then where would we be? Your participation and advice on this message board is valuable. There's no doubt about that. I thank you! We all thank you. But we can't give you special privileges because you're a wonderful, helpful person because there are so many wonderful, helpful people here on this message board.

As it's stated in the policy, you're welcome to post a decription of your website and the link in your "my profile"'s signature file. That way, as you participate in normal, non-promotional postings people can see and then choose to click your link.

Thanks for understanding. Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#80704 - 04/24/06 12:01 PM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Point taken MM, especially as others here who have contributed far more than I have (eg Fernando, Booklady, Deibid and many others), are bound by the same rules.
I do have a snippet of news that may be of use to Brits living/working in Spain, especially if they want to be on telly. The BBC are looking for new people to appear on their series Living in the Sun. So if you'd like to appear on this look up my site on my profile and you can link in there (alternatively do a search on the main BBC site).

#80705 - 04/25/06 06:51 PM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I felt my left ear twitch and here is why, filbert calls to me! wave

#80706 - 04/26/06 05:01 AM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

filbert, come on!
Quote:
So if you'd like to appear on this look up my site on my profile and you can link in there (alternatively do a search on the main BBC site).
You're still (albeit indirectly) promoting your own website by telling people to go to your profile and click your link. Dude, you can't do that!!

Once again...:
Quote:
STRICT POLICY: We allow NO ADVERTISEMENTS or self-promotions of products, websites, or services. You may, however, place a link & description in the signature file of your "my profile" and then participate in normal, non-promotional discussions.
rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan mad

#80707 - 04/26/06 11:31 AM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Honestly MadridMan, that last post was designed as a helpful news post to Brits living in Spain who fancied appearing on tv. I even suggested they do a search on the BBC site if they were interested. Please feel free to edit and take out the reference to my profile if it destroys the balance of the board (or even more unlikely affects the corporate adverts). I'm getting a bit paranoid here; I'll desist from making any further comments for a while since I seem to be rubbing you up the wrong way.

#80708 - 04/26/06 06:53 PM Re: Help from Brit posters required!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

No need to be paranoid, filbert. We all expect everyone to follow the same rules. You have no idea how many people have told me they were only trying to "assist" others with information but, you know, whether directly or indirectly the website owner is benefiting by either increasing traffic to their site, making it more popular, or by advertising they may have on that website. I really don't have time to check everyone's link to see if in some way this information "only given to assist others" is monetarily benefiting them or not. For that reason I don't allow the self-promotions or advertisements. Some have told me they're NOT benefiting in any way on that particular page - with may be true - but just one or two page clicks away there's some benefit there.

I don't have any doubt you were only trying to help others and that really is a good thing. smile Hope you can understand my position. Thanks.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments