MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80505 - 01/06/06 03:01 PM An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
pippo Offline

Loc: tarraco
Hello

Recently came back from USA one of my best friends, he transfered to america to work 4 months by the company's project manager.

Well, I was talking with him and he told me that life in America is very different, people is very cold, nobody mix with nobody, people go from work to their home and from home to their work.
I'm wondering if that's a true image of american people or just a deformed one.
In america exists the equivalent to "ir de cañas" after the end of work journey??
People use to be related with their neighbours and job mates??
How is a day in the life of an american citizen?

#80506 - 01/06/06 03:57 PM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
Topic: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
We are a big country, what part of the country was your friend working in?

Bill

#80507 - 01/06/06 04:02 PM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
Belen03 Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
It sounds like the cultural disconnect I experienced upon moving to the states. There are regional "friendliness" variations that exist throughout the country. Here in south Texas people are pretty friendly and involve themselves with their friends and neighbors. The Mexican influence makes a big difference too-- it adds to the open nature. "Happy hour" can put drunks on the road and some people don't indulge due to the fact that our society is dependent on getting around by car.

#80508 - 01/06/06 06:15 PM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Pippo,

I can't think of one of the people I work with that I don't know their entire family. I've been either to one of their's or their childrens wedding, open-house, or holiday party. I'm godfather to one of my workmate's child, etc. We help each other after work, if someone needs a hand. We go out to breakfast together, and prepare a Thanksgiving dinner at our shop. Not me, but almost everyone else in our shop bowl together on Tuesday evenings. I can't think of any facet where we're not involved in each others life. Oops, yeah, we don't go out after work and drink together in our little group. But plenty, and I do mean plenty of people who work together in the U.S. do. That doesn't make us anti-social. None of us are part of the bar scene.

It's not impossible that there are places in the U.S. that don't do all of the things I mentioned above, but I would consider it a rara cosa.

#80509 - 01/06/06 09:07 PM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
misspom Offline

Loc: new york
This is a very interesting issue. Being from NYC, I realize that the quality of neighborly connections will never be like that in a small community (for good or for bad..)but it really depends on you and how much you're willing to invest in those relationships. People in the city work more, have erratic hours and move after short durations in an apartment so naturally it's harder. I can tell you that my neighbors and I have a great, pop-in-for-coffee kind of relationship. Another theory I have is that of the climate - people from warm climates are generally outside more which allows for more contact with others. The cold weather drives you indoors more. Hey, it may sound odd but it makes sense to me...

#80510 - 01/06/06 10:38 PM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Pippo: It all depends on where your friend was and as someone already pointed out the time of the year. Some of the rural towns and smaller localities are not so stand offish. Then enter the great American theam of politics. I can assure you that someone of different political out looks would have problems cultivating friendship in some hardcore areas. For the most part it is what you make it.

#80511 - 01/07/06 07:21 AM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
pippo Offline

Well, he was at New Jersey, I think it's close to New York, he works in a high technology company.
He said me that a lot of people do that: when they end the journey go inmediatly to their house and a lot of people live far from the town.

#80512 - 01/07/06 10:11 AM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Pippo: That area of the U.S. New Jersey, New York, it would be hard for your friend to make friends. As he has already pointed out some people live a long distance from their work, and do not feel like going an even further distance to socialize with fellow workers. It would not be unusual in that area to live next door to someone for twenty years and not know their name. Sad but true.

#80513 - 01/07/06 10:35 AM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
pippo Offline

Desert Dweller, I understand your point, it makes sense but on the other hand I think that a lot of people in Madrid or Barcelona live outside of the city, they live in Badalona or Hospitalet de Llobregat or Mostoles, Getafe, etc... and they go with their job mates 2-3 times per week to take some beer and chat.
Maybe american culture is more related with family and indoors, (I supose).

#80514 - 01/07/06 12:09 PM Re: An ordinary day in the life of an american citizen
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Pippo,

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Michigan, where I live, is much more indoor oriented. We don't have many outside cafeterias to congregate in. All of the bars I can think of are indoor affairs, with the occasional deck for summertimes.

Right now it's about 30-degrees F outside, which would be about -1-degree C. You'd truly have to be hardy to sit outside and drink, but there are some that do.

I really can't say much about the culture of New York or New Jersey, but I still have to believe that they go to the bars with their friends and have a couple before going home. I'd wager on this.

It sounds like your friend may have been in management, and they're another breed. Sometimes the rank-and-file, such as myself, who are really the people that have more fun, don't fraternize too much with management. And then again, sometimes they do.

Sometimes I wish some of the Spanish posters on this board would be a little more open about your culture. That's what I'm really looking for from this board. I know a little about when you have your meals, about what hours you go through the routines in everyday life. Still, I like hearing about what the life of a real Spaniard is like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3037 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments