Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78832 - 11/11/04 09:14 AM Veterans Day - US
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Today we honor our soldiers, and those of other nations, who have fought with us, and against us. We exclude no one, for they were all soldiers, doing a soldier's tasks.

The words below echo my sentiments:

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

These mist covered mountains - Are a home now for me - But my home is the lowlands - And always will be - Some day you'll return to - These valleys and these farms - And you'll no longer burn - To be brothers in arms - Through these fields of destruction - Baptisms of fire - I've watched all your suffering - As the battles raged higher - And though they did hurt me so bad - In the fear and alarm - you did not desert me - My brothers in arms - There's so many different worlds - So many different suns - And we have just one world - But we live in different ones - Now the sun's gone to hell - And the moon's riding high - Let me bid you farewell - Every man has to die - But it's written in the starlight - And every line in your palm - We're fools to make war - On our brothers in arms.

May all who have served, living and dead, go in peace, for it is they who have sacrificed the most for their beliefs. May God speed you through eternity with honor.

Wolf

#78833 - 11/11/04 12:09 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Peace be with you, Wolf.

#78834 - 11/11/04 12:14 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
To Wolf, Gazpacho and all other soldiers and former soldiers I raise my right arm and render you a very heart felt salute.

Viva la roja,blanco y azul.

#78835 - 11/11/04 04:33 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it about soldiers who fought or just those who have been soldiers?

#78836 - 11/11/04 06:03 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
Wolf Offline

Ignacio,

Today is in honor of those who fought to defend their country, and people in general. Now that may only include wars to some people, but to the vast majority of us, it includes those who endured as peacekeepers, and served in giving aid in nations that needed assistance.

Not all the work of a soldier is killing, or being killed. Much of it includes the humanitarian efforts that only they can give because of their organization, and ability to move large amounts of supplies, and personnel, to areas where assistance is needed.

Often, these soldiers serve in great peril from natural disasters, and from insurgents who would have relief efforts negated. They too should be honored, just like the brave Spanish soldiers, who have served in places like Afghanistan and Iraq, in humanitarian efforts.

We honor them all, because they have survived, and did not shirk their duty.

Wolf

#78837 - 11/11/04 06:28 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was asking, because I (like most of spanish adult men) have been soldier as well. smile

#78838 - 11/11/04 07:05 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Ignacio,

If it includes me, it includes you as well Ignacio. I remember the young Spanish soldiers at the base in Torrejon. Of course, I was just about as young then. Most of them I saw handled weapons, I suppose to guard the base with. I remembered thinking back then, I'd have to be a fool to mess with someone so young carrying weapons. laugh We had a recreation center where we met these soldiers, and though we couldn't speak your language, we played ping-pong with you and had a good time. In that spirit, this day is for you too and for all the Spanish soldiers, that helped me forget at least one day away from family and friends.

I never fought, and I thank the Almighty that I didn't. My service just coincided right after the Viet Nam War, a relative time of peace for us. I feel so much for those that enlist now. frown

#78839 - 11/11/04 07:08 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
Wolf Offline

Ignacio,

Then you're family. If you were in harms way, you belong there. If you read the words to the song I posted, it's all there. You're our brother in arms.

Wolf

#78840 - 11/11/04 07:24 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I honor you, gentlemen today, as well as my father-in-law, who served in W.W. II; my husband, my brother-in-law, who served in VietNam, and my cousin who perished in VietNam, my nephew in Iraq, and now my second cousin who just joined the military!

God Bless you, and God Bless America! Thank you all for preserving the freedom we enjoy today in this great nation!

#78841 - 11/11/04 07:24 PM Re: Veterans Day - US
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Ignacio, it started out as a memorial to World War I. As the years went on it evolved into what we now refer to as Veterans Day. It is to commerate all liveing and dead,past and current military personell.

Like Gazpacho I to was at Torrejon. I must say the restaurant that served primarily the Spanish personell had the better food, it was down the flight line from where we worked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1615 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments