Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77615 - 01/14/04 10:49 AM Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
My friend and I decided to go to Costa Rica next month (there was a fare sale!) for a week. I got so much great advice about Peru a few months back on this message board. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention Costa Rica but I thought I'd check just in case. Caribbean side vs Pacific side? Does anyone have a favorite town?

Thanks for any insight!

Sara

#77616 - 01/14/04 07:01 PM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, unlike Perú, I have never been there. I have a friend who has, and he told me it was a wonderful amazing rainforest, with extremely tasty fruits, and peaceful. Probably the best country for a relaxing holiday in Latino América.

#77617 - 01/14/04 07:33 PM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
We are going there the 17th of March and have been doing considerable research. How long are you going to be there, what are your interests, and how long do you have?

#77618 - 01/15/04 11:42 AM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I've been researching it a lot in the past week but it seems like there is a lot of info to sort through. A lot of little towns that all sound the same. My friend and I are both 33, don't want to stay at a fancy resort or anything like that. We will be there 8 full days. We want a town with charm and some options of adventure-y things to do. I was thinking we go up to the monteverde cloud forest to do the canopy tour/tree zip thing then down to Montezuma or someplace in the Nicoya penninsula? We want to stay in a beach town with a nice beach and options (for me) for kayaking, etc. We do want some nightlife and things to "do" in the town. I keep thinking about Cusco, Peru. That was perfect. A lot of fun backpackers and not that "package tour" crowd. Embarrasingly, we can't rent a car because neither of us can drive a manual transmission car. (being Americans and all...I know...) We need to be on some sort of bus route or place we can fly to. I am most curious about the Caribbean vs Pacific side. I have heard so many conflicting things about both.

We just need a scenic beach town where we can eat good food, meet other travellers, rent a cute little hut as a hotel, see the jungle, maybe dance on a table or two...

Thanks! good luck with your research as well.

#77619 - 01/15/04 01:28 PM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I, too, am going to Costa Rica in March, for 10 days. I'm leading a group there, but have not been before. We'll have tour guides with us. It will be a different experience, but perhaps I can share some of the things I've heard in the past 10 months or so, since I started planning the trip.

I have heard overwhelmingly that the Pacific side has better beaches. That's where all the good surfing is, too. You can see sea turtles on both sides, but the Caribbean side is better for that. However, now is not the season for much giant sea turtle activity - better to go later in the year. We actually decided not to visit the Caribbean side at all. Concern over malaria-carrying mosquitos also seems to be concentrated on the northeastern part of the country, although some good spray seems to be all you really need.

I have heard the beaches by the Manuel Antonio Park are stunning. The Jaco area is the area that's built up the most, along the coast, and you'll find plenty of tourists there. You'll also find plenty to do, and perhaps the social scene is more interesting there. I have heard complaints of seeing loads of American students there on spring break.

I've heard of people doing what you plan to do on the Nicoya Peninsula and absolutely loving it. Sorry I don't have details about places to stay. I heard they slept in hammocks and would love to go back. There are lots of places to kayak - you can even go on kayaking trips for several days. Again, sorry I don't have details, but do try a search with some key words. There are loads of web sites on Costa Rica, as you've probably noticed. I have also heard that you don't need to have a lot set up before you go - you can organize a lot of activities once you're there. Why not wing it? (I've been "winging it" for years before getting involved in group travel! Even now I arrange some of my tours to have time to explore and try out unplanned activities.)

Monteverde is a good idea - we'll be there 3 days, there's so much in the area. How about a volcano? You can visit several active ones. We're going to Arenal, and swim in the accompanying hot springs!

Good luck! I'd love to hear how it all works out, and I hope people who have been there can share their experiences as well!

#77620 - 01/16/04 11:24 AM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
quime Offline

Loc: panama
hello friends!
i visited costa rica maybe more than 40 times!
as someone mentioned, theres a lot of info at the internet due that costa rica is actually one of the grestest tourist spot in latin america, perhaps because the fact of the peacefull country and very calm people...bit, be aware of your iearls if you walk on san jose, the capital, and speacially of the child groups walking around.
dont worry of facilities, there are plenty of then!
you will see lots of tourist walking around.
and there are also a lot of rainforest sites to visit, all of then very safe.
best beaches:
1manuel antonio (litlle fancy due to heavy tourism, prefer week days)
2jaco beach, more cheaper
and the whole area of quepos and nicoya, you can see tourtles a lot on the pacific side. remenber just to not drink local water, buy bottles at the super marker
after all, you will have great fun there! smile
what more?
you just ask! i´ll try explain in my poor english

#77621 - 01/18/04 02:18 AM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
Jennita Offline

Loc: Denver
Hello! I used to live in Costa Rica, and first of all I have to disagree with the previous post. Costa Rica is not Mexico, the water is safe to drink. I lived there for 6 months and traveled around the country and never once had a problem with the water.

Ok.. here is my list of "must sees" in Costa Rica.

1. Arenal Volcano. This is an active volcano that erupts often. You can go to the hot springs at the base of the volcano, called Tabacon, and actually hear and watch the volcano erupt. It is such an AMAZING experience! Also, the town of La Fortuna is close by, and is a wonderfully quaint town.

2. Monteverde. It looks like you already have information about this place, and you're right on. It's a cloud forest and you can take canopy tours and other things. It's really something you won't want to miss!

3. Manuel Antonio. This is a National Park, and the beaches, flora and fauna are just incredible. You will run into monkeys as you walk along the paths, and see sloths hanging in the trees.

Jaco is personally not one of my favorite spots, however it is supposedly the best place to surf in Costa Rica. So if you're planning on surfing, then I would definately check out Jaco. It's on the way to Manuel Antonio from San Jose.

I never went to the Caribbean side of the country because I was living with my Costa Rican boyfriend at the time and he claimed that it was ugly and there was nothing of interest there. I wish I had ventured to that part of the country, however I never did. I can't imagine that it's as horrible as he made it out to be!!!

No matter what, you're going to have an amazing time. Costa Rican's (ticos) are wonderful hosts to their country.

Have fun!!
Jennita

#77622 - 01/28/04 08:36 PM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
sel Offline

I think that we have about completed our plansfor Costa Rica. We have had a couple suggestions as to good restaurantes and hotels so I thought I would share the plans with the board.

WED., MARCH 17
AM. Flight from Miami to San Jose. Arrive at 2:00 PM.
-Check through immigration and customs, getting out by 3:00 or 3:30PM. Settle in at the Melia Cariari Hotel, check out the pools and facilities, and plan to dine there the first night.

OTHER OPTIONS...
Another option for a hotel is the Bougainvillea which is located in the suburb of Santa Ana.

We do not have time visit the INBioparque, but it is supposed to be very interesting.

A reputable tour company in this area is Horizontes Nature Tours <http://www.horizontes.com/tours/index.html>.

THU., MARCH 18
AM. Up bright and early, with breakfast at the hotel out of the way by 7:00 AM.
-Depart with a guide & transport for La Selva Biological Station, arriving by 9:00.
-Take a 3-hour guided tour of the rainforest with its exotic plant and animal life, learn a bit about the major research programs, and check out the facilities that make this one of the two premier lowland tropical research stations in the world.

PM. Lunch promptly at noon at La Selva. After lunch, say 1:30 PM, visit the nearby
Archaeological Park, "Alma Alta" at the Centro Neotropico Sarapiqui.
-Head back to San Jose by 3:30 via the old road, La Paz waterfall, Varablanca and on to the hotel by 6:30 or so.
-Dinner in or out. Probably will try Le Monastere Restaurnat in Escazu. It's perched on a hill overlooking the Central Valley. The food is fine/very good.

FRI., MARCH 19
AM. Early breakfast. Meet the guide at 7:00 AM and be off to Volcan Irazu (11,000 ft.; last exploded in 1963, 1964) via San Jose and Cartago. As we drive up from the valley floor at 3,800 ft we will pass through the Humboldt Life Zones where more temperate vegetation appears the higher we get. On the upper slopes, for example, we will see fields of lettuce, tomatoes, etc., and at the very top a huge flat top and overlook of the crater.

PM. Back down the mountain by 11:00 AM, through Cartago and Paraiso, and on to Cachi for lunch at Marigold Murray's restaurant overlooking the lake.
-Depart lunch by 1:30 PM and return to San Jose for an early afternoon tour.
-Back to the hotel for R & R and dinner in, or at a very good Italian restaurant, Antonios, just down the road (100 m).

SAT., MARCH 20
AM. Finish breakfast by 7:30, meet the guide and be off to Cafe Britt coffee plantation for the 9:00 AM tour.
-Return to the hotel in time for checkout and lunch.
-Airport by 1:00 to meet with the Lindblad group and travel by bus to Herradura to board a small ship.

SATURDAY MARCH 20 TO SATURDAY MARCH 27

Explore the coastal regions, parks and islands by zodiak from the ship. Snorkle, hike and play. Then pass through the Panama Canal. Return to Panama City by bus after passing through the canal. Spend day and night in Panama City touring.

SUNDAY MARCH 28

Return flight to US

Then it will be time to rest!! I am really excited about this trip. There is so much to do that it was hard to simplify all the options. If we have fun, we will certainly return because I would like to be able to spent several days at the research stations and visit other areas of Costa Rica.

I only have two weeks to get ready for this trip after returning from Spain!! eek

#77623 - 01/29/04 02:03 AM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yesterday, annexed to El País newspaper, there was a colour leaflet on Costa Rica, with information and photos. Those photos really confirm that the country is beautiful in many aspects, i think and I hope you'll have some excellent vacations. smile I feel tempted, myself.

#77624 - 03/15/04 10:20 PM Re: Now I'm going to Costa Rica - anyone been?
sel Offline

Quime...I see you are from Panama. I will be in Panama for the first time next week after we spend some time in Costa Rica. We are doing the Panama Canal the 27th and then spending a day in Panama City. I am excited to finally get to visit Panama!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1563 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments