MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#76950 - 07/17/03 05:51 AM ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Probably most of you have already read about Celia Cruz's passing yesterday. She was 78 years old and died of a brain tumor - of all things. Many of you who did know her music (and I don't know it well) have probably seen her on recent Pepsi and/or Doritos commercials or on the Latin Grammys.

She was born in Cuba and then, in her teens, moved to the USA and died in her home in New Jersey. I was surprised to hear that she had lived in the USA! I knew she was from Cuba but thought she lived most of her life somewhere in Latin America! I had no idea she'd lived right here in the US!

She would perform live every year (?) at the Latin Music Awards and always wore these wild, colored wigs and flamboyant outfits onstage as she sang her salsa songs, shouting "¡AZUCAR!" seemingly throughout her songs.

And while "Not that there's anything wrong with that", I understand she was a lesbian as well. This woman was anything by "typical" and that was part of her allure.

She had even done some acting. A few weeks ago I was watching The Mambo Kings and saw Célia Cruz there and was utterly surprised! She wasn't playiner "herself" this time and had an actual speaking part and was quite good. I didn't even know who she was the first time I saw this movie.

Célia Cruz, the award-winning "Queen of Salsa", will be missed. If you ever saw her sing or perform you'd think she'd live forever.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#76951 - 07/17/03 06:32 AM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
miche_dup1 Offline

Ohh nooo :_(
I've seen her perform and rock packed out concerts on four occasions in London!!!
Her music is eternal.

#76952 - 07/17/03 09:34 AM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
The death of Celia Cruz is a sad loss to the Cuban community. She was the symbol of those Cubans that left the island in hopes of one day returning. She kept the faith for us all.

I grew up with Celia Cruz as part of my cultural background. She was on Cuban TV and Radio daily until, like many of us in 1960, she fled the island. When we Cubans say, Celia, it always referred to Celia Cruz.

I had the pleasure of seeing her perform at a children's program in Cuba during Comparsa time before Fidel came,I was eight at the time, then later here in the U.S.several times, and each time I saw her she was more impressive than the last.

There will never be another Celia Cruz. Thanks MM for sharing this with the group. Her website is down today ( www.celiacruzonline.com )

Quote:
And while "Not that there's anything wrong with that", I understand she was a lesbian as well. This woman was anything by "typical" and that was part of her allure.

No, MM you have been misinformed about her being a lesbian. Celia celebrated her 41st wedding anniversary this July 14th. She had been happily wed to Pedro Knight whom she met while playing with the Sonora Matancera. That little rumor was started by that A###H$#$# Fidel Castro, because like most intelligent people Celia left that poor island when Fidel began to spout Communist crap! He was so petty that he did not allow her to return to her mother's funeral in 1962. Losing Celia to exile was a blow to Fidel's pride that Cuba's top star left becuase of him.

And, whatever her sexual preference, we Cubans would love her just the same. What is irksome is that Fidel said that because he believes that everyone is like him. Did you know that he places homosexuals believed to have HIV in concentration camps in Cuba?

#76953 - 07/17/03 10:11 AM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Booklady wrote:
Quote:
No, MM you have been misinformed about her being a lesbian. Celia celebrated her 41st wedding anniversary this July 14th.
Thanks for the clarification, Booklady. I'll beat my source with a wet noodle. wink

And Booklady also wrote:
Quote:
Did you know that he places homosexuals believed to have HIV in concentration camps in Cuba?
Yes. I did know this because of a scene in the movie (one of my all-time favorites) " Fresa y Chocolate " ("Strawberry & Chocolate") which takes place in Cuba.

Célia Cruz will be missed. I something think of Tina Turner when I see Cruz perform. They both seem(ed) as if they would just go on forever with the same energy, sex appeal, and flamboyance as always.

Sadly, MadridMan frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#76954 - 07/17/03 02:45 PM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I heard the news this morning on our local radio station. I don't know much about Celia Cruz except that she was the one celebrity I had a tendency to run into. We shared the same travel agent in Madrid so I'd see her there. (I thought she lived in Madrid! New Jersey? Did she used to live in Madrid?) Then we saw her in the airport in Barcelona two years ago when she flew on the same flight to Canarias with my kids. One thing was clear to me each time I saw her - she was a wonderfully kind, friendly, lovely human being.

#76955 - 07/17/03 05:41 PM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
miche_dup1 Offline

and it showed in her singing and music and all around her. Not only did the older folk feel dear and affectionate to her and her art but young ones too, especially young men laugh laugh
One could not help but fall in love with her.
She just transmitted kindness,tenderness, romance and hot rythm with her songs and smiles.
Lucky you Diana to have met her personally.

#76956 - 07/17/03 09:30 PM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Booklady, if Célia Cruz was married, I wonder why the articles I've read about her death never mention her husband.

Also, CLICK HERE for a short USATODAY article entitled "Cuba media gives little attention to Cruz"

Posted 7/17/2003 3:27 PM
Cuba media gives little attention to Cruz

HAVANA (AP) — While the death of salsa singer Celia Cruz was reported prominently in newspapers across the world, the news got scant and somewhat bitter treatment in official media in her homeland Thursday. The Cuban Communist Party newspaper Granma reported her death in a tiny, two-paragraph story low on page 6 of Thursday's eight-page edition. READ MORE...

#76957 - 07/18/03 01:38 PM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
Miguelito Offline

This has been a black week for Cuban music as the great musician Compay Segundo also died on Monday at the age of 96, he enjoyed a wide world fame after the grammy with Ry Cooder in Buena Vista Social Club.

#76958 - 07/18/03 07:07 PM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Celia was one of the voices of the Cuban community in the US, and she will be missed. I only saw her once, and she was already getting on, but she could still put on a show like nobody's business.

BTW, Granma can kiss my A$#. Shows how petty the official Cuban government position is, that, even 43 years after she left, they can't bring themselves to acknowledge that she was one of the greats.

#76959 - 07/18/03 07:21 PM Re: ¡AZUCAR! "The Queen of Salsa" Died Yesterday
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola MM,
Quote:
Booklady, if Célia Cruz was married, I wonder why the articles I've read about her death never mention her husband.
That 's very odd MM because all the articles I have read speak of her husband. This article came from from the web page of the European Jazz Network they have a very nice biography about her life.
Quote:
By 1960, Celia Cruz left Cuba permanently to pursue a career in the States. She became a permanent citizen by 1961 with a contract to perform in the Hollywood Palladium. It was during this time that she fell in love with the tall, dark and dashingly handsome first trumpet of the orchestra. His was the first friendly face she grew to search for. He was attentive, caring about her feeling toward the arrangements, the timing and the music. And for Celia, he was truly her knight in shining armor. Celia Cruz and Pedro Knight married in 1962. By 1965, he decided to step back from his own career to manage the wife he adored.
The Gale Group web site has a biography of Celia that is excellent. Gale does literary reviews and biographical articles about well known people, here is an excerpt about her husband's role in her life:
Quote:
Adapting to Exile
Although the singer would come to love the United States, Cruz could never forget her homeland. She continues to remember it in song, but she cannot return to Cuba. Castro, angered by the singer's defection, would not even allow her to visit the country when her mother was sick, or when her father died. If Celia Cruz continues to be unhappy about her expatriation, she seems to have accepted the situation, and Hispanics have certainly shown their appreciation of her work in the United States. "If I die now," the singer stated in the New York Times in 1985, "I want to be buried here."

As the New York Times remembered, Cruz's "early years in the United States were less than memorable; young Latinos were more interested in rock-and-roll than in music from the old country." Cruz had to work very hard to earn her fame in the United States. One good thing, however, did occur during those early years in America. On July 14, 1962, Cruz married Pedro Knight , the first trumpeter of La Sonora Matancera; she had known him for over 14 years. Knight has served as Cruz's protector, manager, and musical director ever since. He has helped her make important decisions and has provided enthusiastic support; he gave her the golden "Salsa" engraved earrings she still wears. In 1987, Louis Ramirez, an arranger of songs for Cruz, explained Knight's role in Cruz's professional life in the New York Times. "When discord arises on how best to sing or play a part, everyone turns to Pedro. Pedro presides quietly in a corner, with his arms crossed. After he hears us argue back and forth, he says "si' or "no.'"
The Miami Herald carried a story about the funeral:
Quote:
The singer's husband, Pedro Knight, whom she lovingly called ''my little cottonhead,'' was seen leaving the funeral home around 4 p.m. en route to Miami to attend the scheduled services here.
MM, I am not surprised that Fidel, who controls that tool of lies and misinformation Granma, just allowed mere mention fo her death. Ditto, Cooter!

Yes, Miguelito, Cuban music suffered two great losses this past week, Compay Segundo was not as famous as Celia, but thanks to Ry Cooder who brought us his music, we have been able to appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1770 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments