Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#75986 - 12/03/02 11:42 PM Never Mind!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
As the effervescent Gilda Radner used to say, never mind! laugh laugh laugh

#75987 - 12/04/02 12:05 AM Re: Never Mind!
Espe3 Offline

Booklady! Opening a dangerous can of worms here!
I don't need any explaination, but I'm definately not a Latino! :o

#75988 - 12/04/02 03:59 AM Re: Never Mind!
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, I have a question ... Who´s El Gordo and why does he have a night?

#75989 - 12/04/02 07:06 AM Re: Never Mind!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Consider the Can-of-worms opened. Next, a can of whoop-@$$. hehehe... wink (just kidding)

Quote:
4) If you light a candle to Virgin Mary on the night of the "El Gordo" drawing.
Do they have "El Gordo" in Latin America?? confused

Quote:
9) If you use olive oil to cook and can't figure out why your butt is getting bigger.
Do they use much olive oil in Latin America??? confused In Spain, with all the olive oil used there, you don't see many girls/women with "big butts". (thank god! :p ) Nor boys/men for that matter.

Are you suggesting that Spaniards are Latinos? If so, I had a long and very interesting conversation with my madrileña ladyfriend about this as I thought all Spaniards, Italians, and Latin Americans were considered Latinos at their "root". She said Spaniards, and most certainly Italians, didn't consider themselves "Latinos".

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#75990 - 12/04/02 09:32 AM Re: Never Mind!
Espe3 Offline

MM,
That's 'cause... we're not! :p wink

#75991 - 12/04/02 10:21 AM Re: Never Mind!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
My Goodness, eek I have injured the sensitivity of MM Board Members! I don't want to have my ass whopped! :o

So on Behalf of the Editors of the Real Academia Española and myself, laugh and for the sake of World Peace and Good Will To all peoples of Europe and America, We are sorry. eek

I will immediately notify the Real Academia that the Board members here are unhappy (and may resort to worms and violence) about any inference, even in jest, of being associated with the #@*# term Latino/a therefore they should expunge such a term!

My sincere apologies folks!

Carmendespaña, I grew up with "El Gordo." I don't know what other countries have called their loteries! Anyone?

Madridman,
I am defining "latino/a" as it appears on page 1353 of the Diccionario de la Lengua Española, vigésima segunda edición, 2001:
Quote:
7. Natural de los pueblos de Europa y América en que se hablan lenguas derivadas del latín.
wereas Spanish was the first language I learned from my Spanish parents; and wereas Spanish is a language derived from Latin; I must conclude that within the confines of this definition, I am a latina. cool And proud! But, I will whip ass if anyone calls me "hispanic"! laugh That's because I am old, my son does not care if he is referred to as Hispanic.

Many Latinos use Olive Oil, that's all I ever use, take a look at the ads in Vanidades a magazine for latinos! However, I have noticed that in Mexico they use manteca, lard a lot. I don't know about South or Central Americans.

Have a nice Day! smile

#75992 - 12/04/02 01:02 PM Re: Never Mind!
Espe3 Offline

Problem is, although that's what the dictionary says, people associate it with being Latin American, and if I WERE latin american, I'd be proud, but I'm not, and I don't want to be confused. Same problem with the word hispanic. :p
It doesn't help that many latinos/hispanics, as its commonly used interchangibly, say that they're Spanish, when that's not correct. It just adds to more confusion!

Did you hear about the last world wide geography survey? Americans still don't know what's where! No wonder!

I am Spanish (and I hate to have to explain to people most of the time Spain Spanish) and proud of it! smile So to avoid confusion, I give a quick little lesson to those who ask, from where? (sad thing is, I had to explain this to a couple of Columbian girls once! :o )

#75993 - 12/05/02 11:51 AM Re: Never Mind!
miche_dup1 Offline

Espe3, you had to explain to a couple of Columbian girls..from Columbia? as in South Carolina, USA Columbia, Columbia? eeeek i now see what you mean about Americans not knowing where's where and what's what! Damn,I hope you put them in their place. :o mad :o

#75994 - 12/05/02 12:02 PM Re: Never Mind!
Espe3 Offline

No, the saddest thing is they were Columbian! Here we go, if they had been from Columbus, Ohio, or one of the Carolinas, that would make them from the United States, not Columbian!

The thing about Americans not knowing where things are... a few years ago, National Geographic surveyed young people all over the world and tested them on their geographical knowledge. When asked to point out a country, Americans faired the worst! Well, I don't know if it was NG again or not, but recently, another poll was done, and Americans STILL can't point out half the things on a map! Even having trouble pointing out the United States! frown

#75995 - 12/05/02 12:16 PM Re: Never Mind!
miche_dup1 Offline

Very, very sad indeed.... Never mind.
lol lol lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1622 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments