MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#76991 - 08/16/03 01:36 PM The Great Black Out
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Hey Guys...just wondering how many members were affected by the black out this past week, directly or indirectly?

#76992 - 08/16/03 03:57 PM Re: The Great Black Out
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
It was a horror show for many. No electricity, no Atm's, practically no mass transportation and few gaspumps were working. Many people slept on the streets because they were basically stranded. I feel sorry for all those toueist who were not allowed to re-enter the hotels..oye'
I know people who walked five hours across bridges in the sweltering heat just to get home to no power.
Many resturants suffered because food spoiled.
Luckily I fled to my mother's who had electricity restored after three hours. Only one of two communites in the whole city. So, I escaped the nightmare and slept in air conditioning, ate good food, and watched the fiasco on TV. My power returned the next day around noon but the subways still are not running.
BLackout 2003

#76993 - 08/16/03 04:16 PM Re: The Great Black Out
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Hey everyone...we were in New Jersey when it happened (at around 4 pm), and luckily the power only flickered off for less than a minute. We watched what was happening on TV, at least once the channels started working. Our cell phone wasn't working at all, but out cousins phone worked (luckily). When we were driving home and going over the George Washington Bridge, it was SO strange to see the city PITCH black. The traffic wasn't too bad, and the EZ Pass was still working at the toll booths, but once we were on the bridge, already in NY, leading to Riverdale, the EZ Pass wasn't working and they weren't even accepting tolls. Our power didn't turn on until around 8 a.m., but atms still weren't working at around 11 am.
Listening to George Pataki on the radio was kind of amusing. He kept blaming the Canadian side, while the Canadian side was blaming the NY side... rolleyes
All yesterday, the ( air-conditioned ) buses were free though! cool

#76994 - 08/16/03 05:39 PM Re: The Great Black Out
NEWYORKRED Offline

Loc: NEW YORK, NEW YORK
eek WHO IN OHIO THAT RUNS THIS BOARD IS DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BLACKOUT??????? I WONDER IS IT MADRIDMAN'S FAULT BECAUSE HE WAS COOKING CHORIZO AND SIPPING BOREA VINO OR FANTA ??????

It has been confirmed that 3 power stations in northern Cleveland, OHIO were the cause of the nation's first extreme blackout!!!!!

THANK-YOU MADRID MAN WHILE I WAS ON THE 13TH FLOOR IN AN ELEVATOR!
wink

#76995 - 08/16/03 09:34 PM Re: The Great Black Out
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Posted 8/16/2003 1:36 PM Updated 8/16/2003 5:17 PM
Blackout pinned on three failed transmissionlines in Ohio

WASHINGTON (AP) — A failure to contain problems with three transmissionlines in northern Ohio just south of Cleveland was the likely trigger of the nation's biggest power blackout, a leading investigator said Saturday.
Experts are working to understand why the local line disruptions, some of which occurred an hour before the blackout reached its peak, were not isolated, allowing a cascade of power system shutdowns stretching from Michigan to New York City and into Canada.

"We are fairly certain at this time that the disturbance started in Ohio," Michehl Gent, head of the North American Electric Reliability Council, said in a statement. "We are now trying to determine why the situation was not brought under control after three transmissionlines went out of service."
-----
Read more of this USATODAY story HERE . I SWEAR I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!! eek

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#76996 - 08/17/03 01:17 AM Re: The Great Black Out
NEWYORKRED Offline

Loc: NEW YORK, NEW YORK
mad MADRIMAN, DON'T YOU WORRY. JOESAMBUCA AND I WILL RALLY TO HELP YOU IN THIS TIME OF NEED. CAN'T HAVE ENOUGH INJUSTICE AS THE WORLD TURNS. HEY JOE SAMBUCA, CAN WE SAY WARREN "B" ?

#76997 - 08/17/03 02:50 PM Re: The Great Black Out
Nate Offline

Loc: New York
Luckily, I was near my home, at the doctor's office. I was under the weather. So, when the lights went out, I was finishing up with the doctor. If I was working that day, at 4:09pm, I would most likely be comming home from work. The #4 train would properly be stuck between two elevated stations. This is the one time I was glad I had a low grade fever. rolleyes

#76998 - 08/17/03 07:37 PM Re: The Great Black Out
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everyone

oh yes that blackout was something.

i was outside riding my bike when it happened.

then i went up to my house and there it was the blackout.no Ac no tv,internet,light,fridge was warming up and thus i couldnt drink much water.

first i did not mind that much but then when nightime came i started to sweat ,i was bored, i could not see well because of the dark. everything was blurry looking.

later on my dog was panting too much because of the heat so i put him on the windowsill for a half an hour and such.

yeah alot of purgatory. eek luckily i was able to sleep early(before 10pm) and when i woke up it was all over! laugh

#76999 - 08/17/03 10:37 PM Re: The Great Black Out
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
My best friend from high school and I were up to our necks cooling off in Cayuga Lake, in upstate NY. The lights in her cottage had gone out and we knew nothing... except that her husband had boarded a Grey Hound bus at 11:00 a.m. and was at that moment ready to enter the Lincoln tunnel on route to the NYC Port Authority. Many hours later we learned that the bus was not allowed in the tunnel and was sent to New Jersey.

To make a long story short, she went to bed with no lights, no candles and no flashlights. My house, 15 miles away, still had lights. Her husband arrived in NYC the following day after spending the night on the bus in New Jersey.

#77000 - 08/18/03 08:03 AM Re: The Great Black Out
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
I work across the street from the WTC. I was in the subway but luckily got out of the train. I work in building management so I had to go back. I spent the night at the building helping the 100+ of people that stayed over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2056 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments