Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#76762 - 04/26/03 07:01 AM Bowling for Columbine
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
I watched yesterday "Bowling for Columbine", and felt deeply shocked at it.
What do you think of the movie? Do you, American board-members, think it is an accurate portrayal of your society?
That`s all, I await your opinions...

#76763 - 04/26/03 10:11 AM Re: Bowling for Columbine
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cristobo,

Give me a break! You think this is America? The guy is Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd wrapped into one. Living proof that Looney Tunes is real.....

Of course he does a real good job of feeding paranoia and fear of American society with left wingers. He makes a lot of money doing it I might say.

Carry on! Have fun!

Wolf

#76764 - 04/26/03 11:44 AM Re: Bowling for Columbine
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I found this documentary very worthy. It posed alot of questions that we should all be contemplating even if we don't agree with Michael Moore. I didn't feel he was feeding on our paranoia at all. If anything I find the paranoia generated by main stream media and our current foreign policy far more disturbing.I live a few miles from Red Lion, PA and was personally touched by the recent events there. Don't tell me Michael Moore didn't pose some important questions and he certainly didn't claim to have all the answers.I just hope he continues the hard work.

#76765 - 04/26/03 01:37 PM Re: Bowling for Columbine
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
I didn`t say I thought this was real America, I have never been there and I just can`t have an accurate opinion.
I think the key issue in the movie is the role of the media and politicians in the way people perceive reality.
It made me think of the way the media have been changing HERE, this latter years. Many of the things Moore censored in America were awkwardly familiar to me, here...

#76766 - 04/26/03 08:24 PM Re: Bowling for Columbine
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
I think it definitely reflects a part of America. I lived in rural Pennsylvania and I grew up with a number of people who reflect the society portrayed in that documentary. He feels very strongly about his opinion, but he backed it up with facts. Numbers don't lie, events don't lie. I found it to be a carefully researched and though you obviously see Moore's stand on the subject, he keeps it open the entire time so you can draw your own conclusions based on his research. He raises the questions, but he never answers them. I felt it was one of the best films I've seen in years and it made me really think about the country I live in (though I won't be living here much longer!).

Melinda

#76767 - 04/28/03 08:01 PM Re: Bowling for Columbine
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Michael Moore ought to be taken out back of the barn and have the fat slapped out of him. I'll be first in line, if there isn't an overly long line of Marines who beat me to the 'punch'.

Unfortunately we'll be hearing more from the self-proclaimed "pursuer of non-fiction" who lamentably lives in "fictitious times". He has Keanu Reeves lined up for his next project, a no-shame project centered around some kids on a religious history tour (the tour really happened...my sister was on the tour) where one of the girls is given "permission" by her bishop to be promiscuous with the boys in order to keep them active in the faith (sheer "fictitiousness" to use Moore's own language). confused

This spineless mass of excrement that passes himself off as a "director of truth in documentary" is nothing more than a sleazy whore who is out to see just how shocking he can be, how far he can push the proverbial envelope, and just how many people he can offend. Then he adds to the resume "Man Who Won't Shut Up About Sore/Loserman and the Amazing Elections of 2000". mad

He has lost all credibility to me as an objective filmmaker. Moore is nothing more than an opportunist who seeks notoriety. He is not a genius, did not deserve an Oscar, and ought to be banished to Patmos or Elba, whichever is still taking exiles.

Here\'s an interesting story I found today about Mr. Moore. It's conservative Fox, but an interesting story nonetheless. Click on the revocation website, too.

Also see this from the Wall Street Journal.

#76768 - 04/28/03 09:01 PM Re: Bowling for Columbine
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

It doesn't do any good to argue truth with people who have the mindset that the U.S. is responsible for everything that's wrong in the world. Also, when a joke like Moore comes along and feeds these paranoid delusions, they hold him up as if he was the Messiah.

They don't want facts. They want more delusions, and Moore laughs all the way to the bank with their money.

Wolf

#76769 - 04/28/03 10:24 PM Re: Bowling for Columbine
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Calibasco,

eek eek eek
You may be interested to note that none other than his Holiness RAEL of My Favorite Martian fame also thinks highly of Michael Moore!

According to an article in Washington Times
Quote:
"His Holiness RAEL, spiritual leader of the Raelian Movement, has just awarded director Michael Moore with the title of "Honorary Guide," for his movie "Bowling for Columbine" and for the anti-war position he's taken during the Oscars' ceremony. ... The Raelian Movement's public relations service is in contact with Michael Moore to organize a meeting so that His Holiness RAEL can personally give him his award. His Holiness also intends to propose an exclusive film project to the director." A movie! Can you wait? I just hope to God they don't clone Mr. Moore. One of him is quite enough.
eek eek eek

#76770 - 04/28/03 11:22 PM Re: Bowling for Columbine
thijs Offline

oh here goes booklady and wolf again...

YES - IT'S ACCURATE! But that doesn't mean our lives in America are driven by senseless fear and violence. But there is an undertone here unlike most other civilized nations I have visited. For those who lambaste him, the truth is hard to swallow - what other countries have so many school shootings and such paranoia. Even at a per capita rating, our country has issues to resolve.

And they come from the right.

#76771 - 04/28/03 11:27 PM Re: Bowling for Columbine
NEWYORKRED Offline

Loc: NEW YORK, NEW YORK
eek eek eek
Booklady,
How twue!!! How twue!!!
Can anyone imagine that a director like Michael Moore would really represent "America".
I have to state that I have apologized to numerous people I have met that consistently ask, "Is he for real?"
Laughingly I respond, " Oh yes, he represents what most of us call the "The ORKS of Middle Earth" in Tolkein's "Lord of The Rings".
At MadridMan's Party in a restaurant called Muniz, I was aked about the film and did it truly represent the upcoming youth of the USA? The discussion was pre-empted by a curious teacher from a Secondary Level who couldn't understand that a country like the USA had so much to offer to their youth only to be wasted by those who could not look beyonfd the forests!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1868 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments