I recently stayed in two Hostals that I found info on through this board, so i thought I would let everybody know what I thought of them!

Hostal Levante , Barcelona: This hostal is right in the heart of the gothic quarter. This was good, but it made it hard to find, the taxi I took from the bus station could not get on the street, because it is pedestrian only. This made it a little difficult to get to. The are it is in, is fine during the day, and for the most part, at night. At night, I felt safe in a group, but due to some shady characters in the area after dark, I did not feel comfortable by myself.
The room was fine... I had an economic without bathroom. The room itself was very clean, my only complaint here is that the door would not shut all the way, and the lock looked a little unsure. The shared area on the floor, and bathroom, were ok, not great, but fine for a short stay. I have a feeling that the rooms on the main floor, standard and superior with bathrooms, were a lot nicer. The reception desk was very helpful, and the security system seemed good. You have to turn in your key everytime you leave the hostal though, a little inconvenient.

Hostal Martin , Madrid: Great Hostal! On Calle Atocha very close to both the train station and a metro stop. VERY easy to find. Within a reasonable walking distance to Plaza Mayor. Very quiet at night. The reception area was beautiful, very secure and safe building. The room was also great..TV, phone, very clean bathroom. Clean towels everyday. VERY helpful staff. I would highly recommend this place.

I would be willing to answers questions about either hostal, just ask! laugh