Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87139 - 04/22/10 02:36 AM Available services?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
We've been travelign through Spain for the past week. Generally an excellent visit. A note to those arriving soon, or just a word for the wise, upon checking in, ask (remind?) what services are working and what are not. For example, is the heating and/or the hot water systems working? Is the WiFi in the room functioning or only in the lobby? Are laundry services actually to be had or is that just something advertised on the web?

Some of the places we've been, it is still off-season and the staff is clearly not up to snuff. Some seem to be simply caretakers with no knowledge other than the very basics.

I've begun to call ahead to prevent some somewhat uncomfortable experiences as well as to avoid paying for things that simply aren't there.

#87140 - 04/22/10 03:59 AM Re: Available services? [Re: admiral44]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Excellent advice, admiral44. Really excellent. thumbsup

Oftentimes I find the same when traveling, expecting to have one service or another - a service which may have swayed me towards one establishment like WiFi internet - and then upon arriving they tell me it does not, in fact, work or may not reach the outer rooms where I would be staying. Hmmm...

Another good question is IF the advertised air conditioning is working and if it's self-operated or centrally operated. This can make a lot of difference because centrally operated A/C systems are often shut off at night when it's "cool" - but still hot to some "hot bodies".

Happy Travels! Hope to see you here in Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87145 - 04/22/10 05:31 AM Re: Available services? [Re: MadridMan]
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
For anyone travelling in Spain from September.
Hotel swimming pools, although advertised, are generally already shut for the winter !!! eg The Victoria in El Escorial, The Beatriz (?) at Toledo and many Paradors I've stayed in etc. In the UK hotels keep their outdoor pools open (and heated) until the end of September. Why in a traditionally hotter country do you close yours so early?

Of course I don't include "package type" beach holiday hotels in this.
() / ()

#87156 - 04/24/10 02:08 PM Re: Available services? [Re: Jan D]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Madridman and all,

Here are a few "occurances" that left me a bit miffed: No promised wifi at 3 places. No hot water at one place, then no cold water at then next. No parking even though it was reserved. And some locations that are extremely difficult, as in down a half lane winding road for 2km's dodging mudslides and sheep, which is okay, if only when I ask about the road you say, "hay problemas. cuidate." instead of "esta bien. no preocupes."

Anyway, it's all very, very good in the end as this is source material for future novels. I'll be blogging about it staring 4 May, EST.

Currently in the tiny town of La Parra in Estremedura. Fantastic lodging at Hospederia Convento La Parra. This place gets it all right with style.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments