Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7819 - 02/15/05 01:53 PM Madrid: Gay Hostals in Chueca Area?
LAGuy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I will be in Madrid for 2 months in March/April. Anyone have advice on whether La Zona or Gay Hostal Puerta Del Sol would be better?

#7820 - 02/16/05 06:47 AM Re: Madrid: Gay Hostals in Chueca Area?
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hi Laguy. I stayed at La Zona last year. My double room was on the small side but perfectly adequate. It's very central (just off the Gran Via) so it's easy to get to the bars of Chueca. I found it to be very reasonably priced as well and clean and tidy and continental breakfast is included. I'd say it's not a bad choice at all!

#7821 - 02/16/05 02:14 PM Re: Madrid: Gay Hostals in Chueca Area?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
I haven't stayed in either since I live here. I understand from your post that your planning on spending two months here. You might want to consider a short-term rental or getting a room in a flat - it would probably be cheaper and you'd avoid having to eat out all the time which can be a bore. Then again, maybe money's no object...

#7822 - 02/16/05 06:31 PM Re: Madrid: Gay Hostals in Chueca Area?
LAGuy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thank you both for your advice. Money certainly IS an object - my main concern was finding something nice, clean and in the gay neighborhood - I didn't find an apartment/short-term lodging that could give me a deal like the two gay hostals...any suggestions? Anything suggestions on the Chueca nightlife also?

#7823 - 02/17/05 06:31 AM Re: Madrid: Gay Hostals in Chueca Area?
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Laguy, I found La Zona to be pretty affordable and as I said a stone's throw away from the scene in Chueca. I think most of the rooms have double glazing which you really need in the central Madrid which can be very noisy, even at night. I don't have the name of any specific bars but I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding out when you get there:)

#7824 - 02/17/05 07:50 AM Re: Madrid: Gay Hostals in Chueca Area?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
RE nightlife: Just stagger out your door and follow someone cute. Chances are you'll soon find yourself in a gay bar or cafe. There's no need to look very hard - there are bars everywhere tightly packed around Plaza Chueca. Check out the bookstores A Different Life on C/ Pelayo (the gayest street in town) or Berkana on C/ Hortaleza and pick up the free gay guide/map printed by the magazine Odisea. There's also the handy pocket-sized Shanguide which is sort of a what's on guide for the scene. Have fun!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2969 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments