Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7742 - 01/21/05 03:06 PM Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I have another question. I emailed Hostal Martin / Cervelo and they have rooms available for the dates that i'll be in Madrid (9/3-9/12). anyway i know you guys said they're all in the same area but which are (Martin/Cervelo or Josefina -calle gran via 44) closer to the museums and the Royal Palace? also at night if i'm walking back to the hotel which one is in a bit of a "safer" area (as far as walking in the street at 3/4 a.m.)? i'm planning some day trips near and far, maybe Toledo, Lavapies, etc. which would be closer? the only reson i ask is b/c i know many of you guys have stayed at Hostal Martin but so far no one seems to know anything about Josefina. any help is appreciated laugh

#7743 - 01/21/05 08:38 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi VannieNY!

Hostal Martin / Cervelo and Hostal Josefina are in "Old Madrid" but they're not really very close to one another. Hostal Josefina is ON the busy Gran Vía boulevard while Hostal Martin/Cervelo are both on the somewhat-less-busy Calle de Atocha. BOTH are located on VERY well-lighted streets with lots of foot-traffic but the one on Gran Vía has MORE foot-traffic.

Now, which is closer to the Royal Palace & Museums....? Well, there's probably not much difference. Hostal Josefina is probably a little closer to the Royal Palace while Hostal Martín/Cervelo is a little closer to the museums.

With Josefina you're closer to Chueca and their clubs but probably equidistant with Martín/Cervelo with clubs around Puerta del Sol. Martín/Cervlo is closer to the Huertas tapas bars and clubs. Which is "safer" at 3/4am? Hmmm.. I'd guess they're probably both of nearly equal safety at that hour. Will you be walking back alone??? Hope not.

As for daytrips and which is closer to... your HOSTELS(???), Lavapies is actually a neighborhood of Old Madrid and is short walk from Hostal Martín/Cervelo and a farther walk from Hostal Josefina. As for Toledo, they're equidistant because you'll have to take the metro to the Estación Sur de Autobuses (southern bus station) no matter where you stay.

There's still not much (or any) reviews about Hostal Josefina because they're very new to the internet. Hostal Martin/Cervelo is one of the first hostels on the internet - probably since 1996 or 1997 - so they've gotten A LOT of reviews since then... INCLUDING MINE!

Best of luck and enjoy your stay in Madrid and Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7744 - 01/23/05 09:17 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
VannieNY Offline

thanks MM, i'll be traveling alone so i'll probably be walking alone at night unless i meet up with some people in the hostel who are going the same way.

#7745 - 01/23/05 10:34 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hopefully you can "schedule" some get-togethers here, through the "Classifieds & Personals" section and so you won't necessarily be "alone" while going out. There's always possibility of meeting up with others in Madrid, particularly in the summer. Better if they're Spaniards, of course. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7746 - 01/24/05 03:18 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
Cortés Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Hi MM and VannieNY,
Just a friendly correction...
Hostal Martín/Cervelo is in Atocha street, not Alcalá. Very close to Casa Patas (for those who would like to see a flamenco show) and not too far from Plaza Mayor and Puerta del sol.

Other places nearby:
Museo Reina Sofía
Estación Atocha
Museo del Prado
Museo Thyseen
Palacio Real (not that close, but once you are around Plaza Mayor or Puerta del sol, you can take a break, drink a cup of coffee, relax and then walk to the Royal Palace)

I have stayed twice in Hostal Martín. You can walk to all those places with no problem. If you feel like you don't want to walk, there is a metro station called "Antón Martín" very close to the hostal.

Best regards,
EC

#7747 - 01/24/05 04:55 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Cortés, thanks for correcting my mistake about saying they were on Calle de Alcalá. I don't know why but I've made that typo/mental mistake several times while knowing very well that Hostal Martín/Cervelo are on Calle de Atocha. Ugh. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

#7748 - 01/25/05 02:45 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
VannieNY Offline

thanks Cortes

#7749 - 01/26/05 03:20 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Martin/Cervelo vs. Hostal Josefina?
Cortés Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
You are welcome!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2956 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments