Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6787 - 03/30/04 12:19 PM Madrid: Two Hostal Dulcineas??
laskamarie Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Are there two Hostal Dulcineas in Madrid? I have a Chilean friend who has been living in Madrid the past few months and when I told him I had reservations at the Dulcinea, he wrote me back and said it's in a bad part of town, far from the Centro, full of immigrants, etc. and that I wouldn't be able to leave past 6 p.m. because it wouldn't be safe! I have to think that we're talking about 2 different places because from what I can tell, the Hostal Dulcinea featured on this site is right near the Prado and a 5-star hotel. He is talking about one in "Barrio Lartino". Can anyone help me out? I'll be travelling with my 70-year old grandmother and the last thing I want to do is bring her to someplace scary on her first trip outside of the U.S. Thanks!

#6788 - 03/30/04 12:37 PM Re: Madrid: Two Hostal Dulcineas??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
As far as I know there's only one Hostal Dulcinea - or at least there's only one with a website.

And, as you might already know from postings here, Hostal Dulcinea is highly rated and highly recommended by many people - including me. It's located in the Huertas neighborhood (my favorite of all Madrid), near the Prado Museum, but it's not a 5-star hotel as you mention above. This is a "hostal" and not a hotel at all.

He was talking about "Barrio Latina" which isn't a BAD neighborhood but not the best one either. I don't think I'd label this neighborhood as "scary" though. Some people are just overly cautious.

I don't believe Hostal Dulcinea has an elevator so keep this in mind when considering the 70-year old grandmother. The rooms are simple, sparse, and typically small but comfortable and clean.

Enjoy your time in Madrid and Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6789 - 03/30/04 12:56 PM Re: Madrid: Two Hostal Dulcineas??
laskamarie Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Thanks MadridMan! I just heard back from my friend in Madrid and he was referring to something on a Calle Dulcinea, not the Hostal! That, combined with your stamp of approval has me quite relieved! Oh, and I'm not expecting a 5-star hotel--I just meant that it's near one (Hotel Palace, I think?) and usually you don't find those in bad neighborhoods.
Thanks too for your site--it's been really helpful. Can you temporarily move to Germany and start a FrankfurtMan? We're headed there after Madrid/Barcelona. smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments