Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6096 - 09/29/03 04:19 PM Madrid Lodging for November?
EngTeach Offline

Loc: USA
Hello. Thank you for your labor of love, here. It has been a fascinating read. I am traveling to Madrid in November with my teenage daughter to visit my son studying at St Louis University Madrid (in university quadrant). I do not speak Spanish, but would love to get into the culture if possible. Where might folks recommend? I would like a hostal that is comfortable, reasonably quiet near the university with a family who is easy to engage in conversation. Thanks for your advice.

#6097 - 09/29/03 06:41 PM Re: Madrid Lodging for November?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello EngTeach! And welcome to our little message board. smile

I'm afraid that there probably aren't any hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish) around St. Louis University (but I may be wrong) and I'm certain that, if there are, none have websites.

If your daughter's there already maybe she could scout out the area and even tour some hostels (if there are any) and then make her recommendation to you. You'll probably have better luck finding a hotel in that area. You could certainly stay in the city's old center and take the efficient metro to wherever you go though but I understand you want to be close.

Most hostels are owned and operated by families and are often friendly and talkative with their guests -- but chances are not good that they'll speak English, let alone be able to carry on a conversation in English with you. Most often, it seems, the youngest person in the family will speak some English but they, being young, are rarely in the hostel because they're likely to be attending classes or out with friends. There are some exceptions of course. Remember, running a hostel is a hard, busy business so they may not have much time to sit and chat - assuming they speak English.

I/We can recommend a number of hostels in the city center with friendly owners with family members who speak English but I can't guarantee they'll have time to talk. It's a busy job - not one I'd like fulltime.

Anyone have any suggestion for our newest message board members?

Enjoy your visit to Madrid, EngTeach! I'm sure you'll love it -- and I'm sure your daughter is already LOVING it! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2086 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments