Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5324 - 03/04/03 03:48 PM single vs. double rooms
pmack Offline

Loc: Calgary AB
Hi there, I will be travelling to Spain with my husband next month and I was wondering if single rooms, always means a single bed or for just one person. There is a big price jump from single to double rooms and I think we can suffer sleeping in a single bed to save money sometimes. Would they even allow 2 people to sleep in a "single" room?? I know it seems like a silly question, but I am curious if anyone knows what the norm is.

thanks!!

#5325 - 03/04/03 04:46 PM Re: single vs. double rooms
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Do a search on this board for "cama matrimonial" or "cama de matrimonio" and you'll get all the info you need!

Have a great trip!

#5326 - 03/04/03 06:04 PM Re: single vs. double rooms
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I've never stayed anywhere as a "single," but I was under the impression that "single" and "double" just refer to the number of people in the room (because there are other costs than bed linens, such as showers/water use, so two people are automatically more expensive to "house" than one).

Even when my husband and I only used one of the possible beds (and keep in mind, they are often TINY!), we still ended up paying the double rate.

And as Cali suggests, if you want a true DOUBLE bed, you need to request it. Otherwise, don't count on getting one!

#5327 - 03/04/03 08:22 PM Re: single vs. double rooms
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
A "Single" room is intended for ONE person and will only have a "twin bed", big enough for one person.

You cannot put two persons in a SINGLE room or they'll charge you for a double. If you want a double you'll have to ask for a double. But guess what, they'll likely give you a room with TWO twin (single) beds. This always makes me giggle. SOMETIMES you can be ONE person and take a double room and pay a little less - not always but sometimes.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5328 - 03/04/03 11:41 PM Re: single vs. double rooms
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I always specify the type of bed along with the type of room, to avoid confusion. It always works (except at Hostal Playa-see below). You also should always ask to see the room before you commit. (This is anathema to most Americans.) If the hotel/hostal is not full, they will be happy to move you if the room is not to your liking.

When traveling alone, I like to get a "double for single use" because of the bigger beds and rooms. It is not that much more money and they are required by law in most countries to give a discount of around 10% for this. Some will seemingly offer the discount out of the goodness of their hearts, but it is required.

#5329 - 03/05/03 10:36 AM Re: single vs. double rooms
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
I just got back from a week in Madrid staying at the Aparthotel El Madrono. We had asked for a double and when we entered the room we were disappointed to find a pair of twin beds. We had been informed by the person doing the booking that there were two "full-size" beds in a double. I went back down to reception and quickly changed to a cama matrimonial. Given the price of the room, a pair of twins was a rip-off. Not a place I would highly recommend since I think there are better values, but not a bad location in the Barrio de Salamanca.

#5330 - 03/05/03 09:12 PM Re: single vs. double rooms
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
ChrisR,
Did it have a kitchen? How much for a twin?
Thanks,

#5331 - 03/06/03 11:50 AM Re: single vs. double rooms
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Both the twin we were orginally assigned to and the matrimonial (there was also a twin fold out for our son in each) were the same price. I paid based on a US dollar negotiated rate (a business contact price) which was 104.27 Euros weekends (Friday-Sunday) and 134.45 Euros weekdays (Monday-Thursdays) for the 8 days we were there (this did not include IVA). Included was a nice cold breakfast buffet for two and we paid 3.91 Euros for our son. I've just done a Google search and found similiar rates quoted on some booking sites. The Aparthotel El Madrono is part of the VP Hoteles chain. There is a very small kitchette behind folding doors with a small fridge, microwave, sink and cabinets. Our room was supplied with only a service for two, but we were able to get another set for our son.

#5332 - 03/06/03 10:19 PM Re: single vs. double rooms
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I recently stayed in the AC Hotel Avenida America in Madrid. My wife and I got a double and it had one large bed, and her mother requested a single room and also got a regular queen size bed. So, I think this line of hotels only has the full size beds. Just thought I'd tell you my experience with beds.

#5333 - 03/07/03 01:41 PM Re: single vs. double rooms
pmack Offline

Loc: Calgary AB
Thanks for the helpful replies on the single/double room situation. I will be sure to ask for a cama de matrimonio, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we got twins.
I found a place that is 30 euros/night for a double. The website looked ok, but is it going to be a dive? The hostel is Hostal Tokio. Anyone with stories on this one?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1581 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments