Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5312 - 02/28/03 10:11 AM what streets in madrid are good/bad
alrightalex Offline

im looking for cheap lodgings, one or two stars, since all the youth hostels are out of the city. are there areas to avoid...known for being shady. i have so many addresses for hostales that are around 20euros.....but i dont know if those areas are safe. are there any streets that have lots of hostales that you can recomemend.....or any to avoid?
thanks

#5313 - 02/28/03 11:18 AM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
nevado Offline

There is a youth hostel in the city:

C/ Santa Cruz de Marcenado, 28
Tel.: 91 547 45 32
Fax: 91 548 11 96
28015 Madrid
Situado en el casco urbano de Madrid
(en el barrio de Argüelles)

http://www.comadrid.es/juventud/albergues_refugios/alber_principal.htm

#5314 - 02/28/03 03:53 PM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Maybe you could post the names of some of the places you're thinking about? That might help...

#5315 - 02/28/03 09:08 PM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good suggestion by liz49. Please post the names of those places/streets you're considering and we'll do our best to help.

Huertas neighborhood is generally a pretty good/cool area. It's my favorite area for hostels (called "hotales" in Spain/Spanish).

There's a youth-hostel (called "albergue juvenil" in Spain/Spanish) in the Casa de Campo (park) but I understand THIS one is in a shady area - and I don't mean "shade" as "under the trees" either. wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5316 - 03/06/03 06:04 AM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
JamesC Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi there
In Madrid I would avoid the area of Malasana and Calle Fuencarral near Gran Via.
I was attacked there even though I know the city very well and I don't walk around like a stranger there.
As Madridman said, Huertas, Santa Ana is great.
Hope that helps you and I don't mean to put you off the city at all, you will love it.
have and nice time
JamesC

#5317 - 03/06/03 09:18 PM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
el viajero Offline

I'd be wary of wandering around the Lavapiés neighborhood if I were you. Also look out for pickpockets along Gran Vía and the surrounding streets late at night.

Like JamesC, I was mugged in Malasaña. On the other hand, I've often walked through Malasaña and the neighboring parts of Chueca without trouble. I think the difference the day I was robbed is that I looked like a target: I'd been up for 36 hours (just off the plane from the States), I had taken a wrong turn down a tiny blind alley, and looked lost. Normally, I walk purposefully and have no trouble.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1825 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments