Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5106 - 01/28/03 05:11 AM Madrid:Apartasol information?
arfie Offline

Loc: Harbor City, CA USA
I did a search and found lots of info Apartasol in Madrid , and it doesn't seem too bad. I went ahead and booked it for a stay next month (my first trip!), but had a few questions (I've already sent 5 or 6 email back and forth with the booking agent and I think I'm up against a bit of a language barrier or maybe I don't know what to ask).

Has anyone stayed there and can tell me more details of what to expect? Some specific questions I had are: Is the kitchen fully equiped (stove, oven, fridge, utensils and maybe washer)? Is there anything you wish you would have taken with you? Is a room on the 2nd floor or 3rd floor better (I was told I would have a choice)? Is there any view? What kind of heating is there? Is the hot water good? Is there a telephone and if not, how do you make a call if you need to? What's in the nearby area? Is there a supermarket or similar nearby?

Any info or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

#5107 - 01/28/03 09:34 AM Re: Madrid:Apartasol information?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello arfie! Welcome to our all Spain message board. smile
Quote:
but had a few questions (I've already sent 5 or 6 email back and forth with the booking agent and I think I'm up against a bit of a language barrier or maybe I don't know what to ask).
Booking agent?? confused You're not doing this through the owner, Francisco I. Martín? I've exchanged a few emails with hime and if memory serves correctly his English is quite good.

You can see 2 photos of building and map of the location HERE on the QDQ.com site.

It's in an excellent location, really and there are always markets nearby. According to the photos on their website I can see a fridge, stove, sink, but I can't see a microwave or oven though. Not sure about glasses, plates, untensils either.

Send Francisco an email and ask the above questions. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer. And I think it would be useful for future travelers to know too.

Good luck! Saludos MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5108 - 01/28/03 03:05 PM Re: Madrid:Apartasol information?
arfie Offline

Loc: Harbor City, CA USA
Hi MadridMan!

Thanks for the QDQ link! That's a cool site! Now I have no excuse to get lost.

The person I am emailing is Dana. Her (his?) English is pretty good, but I think I just don't understand a few things. I asked about the kitchen and the reply was:

"There is a vitroceramic kitchen , refrigerator, pots, forks, spoons, knives, glasses ect. in the kitchen. There is one huge supermarket 5-7 minuts walking from the apartment ( Corte Ingles ) , close to the Puerta del Sol. There is the 24 h internet service in the Montera street ( 5 minuts walking from the apartment ). There is no any telephone in the apartment. The most useful is to buy some cheap movil telephone and in this manner you will be localizable in every moment."

My questions from the above are: What is a vitroceramic kitchen? Is the name of the supermaket "Corte Ingles" or is that the street it's on? Where would I buy a cheap mobil phone for use during my stay? (I am lookiing into borrowing a friends phone which is supposed to work over there, so that may solve it).

So you see, the communication problem is more a problem of my ignorance. I will write a full review when I return (mid February)!

Dana also wrote, when I asked about heating:

"This apartment is not very large and there is one electric heater in it." But I wonder how effective that would be and how cold it is then. It sounds like a portable electric heater, but again, I probably don't know what's common.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

#5109 - 01/28/03 03:50 PM Re: Madrid:Apartasol information?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
A vitroceramic kitchen, I think, is meant to describe the "stove top". It's one of those flat, wipeable surfaces that gets as hot as a stove top.

El Corte Inglés is a chain of large departments stores in Spain and most all have large grocery stores in the lower levels. This one is located ON/FACING the Puerta del Sol. You can't miss it. It's on the upper lefthand curve of the half-circle.

The 24 hour internet service on Calle Montera is EasyEverything .

You really won't need a phone - unless you do. There are LOTS of phone boxes/pay phones around town and they're relatively cheap.

I'd guess it's a portable electric heater that you'd take from room to room. And in February, it could get quite cold. So, if you get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom it will be COLD.

Gotta go.. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5110 - 02/02/03 09:45 AM Re: Madrid:Apartasol information?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
We stayed at Apartasol in November. I don't know if any of the apartments have views. Ours didn't. In Madrid, I think a view costs an extra $50! smile The kitchen was fine, as I recall. We didn't do any cooking there, but had stuff for breakfast. Besides the Corte Ingles, there are some small grocery stores and a fruit market nearby. The heater we had was good and, yes, the apartment was pretty chilly without the heater on.

Remember, these are budget accomodations. I thought it was a great value and would stay there again. However, don't expect something oozing with charm. In fact, as you enter from the street, you probably will wonder if you made a mistake. However, the apartments are renovated and modern and you should be very happy to find such a good bargain in a great location. Have a blast!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1838 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments