Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4261 - 05/31/02 12:53 PM Booking Hostals
sdnj33 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I am going to spain for the first 2 weeks in July I have an idea as to where we are goign to go, but want to leave some flexibility. Do I need to book hostals ahead of time or will I be able to find something when I arrive? Are there hostals that do not take reservations?

#4262 - 05/31/02 05:34 PM Re: Booking Hostals
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi sdnj33! Welcome to the group! All hostels HIGHLY recommend reservations, but none require them. I've never encountered one which DID NOT take reservations, however.

Just remember that summer is a peak travel season. Take that into account with the LARGE number of hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish) in the big cities which have websites increases your odds of reaching a hostel door with a sign that reads "COMPLETO" or "FULL". But sure, you'll most certainly find one which has a spare room.... you may just have to lug your luggage to 5-10 of them before you find one.

Here's a tip: To save you some time and sweat, don't go up the stairs to the reception area if the front/main/street door is open. Just push the hostels button at the portal/entrance and ask in your best Spanish "¿Hay habitaciones para esta noche?" ("Are there rooms available for tonight?") If they say NO, then thank them and go on to the next one.

Have a great time traveling around! We'd all like to hear about it when the time comes. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4263 - 06/03/02 09:28 AM Re: Booking Hostals
sdnj33 Offline

Are the hostels you are referring to the same as youth hostels or are they just budget hotels called hostels? Are there many youth hostels in Spain or are there just like budget hotels?

#4264 - 06/03/02 10:35 AM Re: Booking Hostals
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hostels in Spain & Latin-America are called "hostales" in Spanish while youth-hostels in Spain are called "Albergue Juveniles". I'm referring to hostels which are (usually) family owned & operated budget hotels.

The word "hostals", as in your subject line, doesn't actually exist in either Spanish or English. I know -- it can be pretty confusing for non-Spanish speakers or those not familiar with Spain.

There are LOTS of youth-hostels in Spain. I think Madrid has 3 official ones (maybe 2) and Barcelona has at least one.... I don't really know. But they're all over Spain. The most popular form of budget loging is by far the hostels though. You get not only privacy, but also, usually, your own in-room private bathroom/shower too and they're usually worth the little extra cost.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4265 - 06/03/02 04:58 PM Re: Booking Hostals
Espe3 Offline

A possibly easier thing to say when using Madridmans vacancy tip is to just ask: "Hay vacantes?" That'll work too and maybe easier for you to remember?!

#4266 - 06/04/02 09:45 AM Re: Booking Hostals
sdnj33 Offline

Thanks for all the helpful tips..the more information I have the better off I am...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2207 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments