Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#3420 - 01/17/02 12:45 PM Madrid: Hostels & Confirmation Problems
RBJ Offline

Loc: MANCHESTER
I'm off to Madrid in April with my girlfriend. I have seen a number of hostels recommended on the message board - notably Hostal-Residencia TIJCAL , Hotel Plaza Mayor , and Hostal Persal . However, as I do not have a credit card, only a switch debit one, I am worried that I won't be able to secure a reservation and may miss out. Does anyone know if these hostel will take a reservation without a credit card and if so how true to their word will they be?

Also I do not speak any Spanish. If I email the hostels will this be a problem or do they speak English?

Many thanks.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3421 - 01/17/02 04:27 PM Re: Madrid: Hostels & Confirmation Problems
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
I have stayed at the Persal and some staff there speak excellent English.There may be a slight delay in answering as the non-english speaking staff will leave it for the others to reply.All Hostals want a credit card no. as some sort of guarantee youll turn up.You can do one of three things.Explain you dont have a credit card and see if theyll trust you.Dont book anywhere and choose somewhere when you land in Madrid-theres 100s to choose from in the main areas.The third option(and Im prepared for a bit of fall out on this)is to make up a cc number and give them that.As youre paying cash when you get there,there is no need for them to ever attempt to use it for a transaction.Underhand? yes a bit,but as someone who has fallen foul of cc fraud in the past,understandable.Ive had to use all three methods on previos trips and would say that whatever you do,youll get a bed for the night(s)

#3422 - 01/17/02 04:59 PM Re: Madrid: Hostels & Confirmation Problems
ome Offline

Loc: seville, spain
Most hotels in Spain ask for a credit card to guarantee the room anymore, but if you say you don´t have one, most are willing to give you the room on a 2pm or even 6pm hold, that is, they´ll tell you to call them if you are not going to arrive by that hold time, and once the deadline has passed, they´ll sell the room to whomever asks for it. I suppose this is more so in Hostales, since they get lots of people every day that show up off the street, without a reservation.
If that doesn´t work, just give them your debit card number. Most hostal employees won´t know the difference and they won´t try it unless you are a no show.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments