Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#9221 - 07/10/07 11:34 AM 3 months in spain
retired in NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
Now that I am a newly retired person, I am free to travel at my whim. My three months in spain will begin the last week of August. I will first spend a few days in Madrid then go to Salamanca to study spanish for 5 weeks then go to Sevilla for 5 days and include a side trip to Cadiz (is it worth a side trip? for one day?) and one to Cordoba, two days in Granada, back to Madrid for 5 days then off to Barcelona for one month.

So far, these are my plans. Any suggestions for inexpensive hostal residencias? I understand there is a building in Madrid on calle salud that has several hostals one of which is Hostal Triana? and others. I do not need any place in Salamanca or in Barcelona because I will be studying spanish and the school will provide accommodations with a spanish family.

Anyone know of inexpensive places in Granada? Sevilla? I used to stay at the Hotel Puerta de Triana in Sevilla on Reyes Catolico but their website seems not to work anymore I wonder if it has closed or is under a different name?

Suggestions will be appreciated for hotels, restaurants etc. Retirement is wonderful.

#9222 - 07/15/07 12:15 PM Re: 3 months in spain
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Congratulations on your retirement.

I suppose why nobody has answered until now is that you've ask quite a few questions. I'll try to help with two.

As for visiting Cadiz, I've been back to Spain 4 times and I feel that any Spanish city is worth the visit. I've even explored some out of the mainstream ones like Badajoz. I don't think you can go wrong visiting any Spanish town.

As for inexpensive places to stay, in the time frame beginning the latter part of August, I wouldn't be too worried about not having reservations. My advice is when you arrive at a train station, take a look around the station. Often times there are kiosks or booths set up that help you find a place to stay(Sevilla). Also there are often people looking for tourist to fill their hostals roaming around the train stations(Barcelona).

I've never had a problem finding a place to stay in any Spanish town and my Spanish is horrible. It would help to have someone to stay with your luggage though, at the station, if you have to wander around the station or just outside of it looking for a place to stay.

Have fun and relax and enjoy your retirement. See you in six-and-one-half years or less.

#9223 - 07/27/07 11:43 PM Re: 3 months in spain
retired in NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
Thank you so much for your help. I usually travel very light, one carry on suitcase or backpack no matter how long my trip so luggage is not a problem.

I am happy you think I do not need reservations in advance. I only have one and it is for my first couple of nights in Madrid at Hostal Triana on Calle Salud.

I do speak a little spanish and can understand more than I can speak of course. I am hoping to learn more during my 3 months in Spain. Have a great summer and Thanks again.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1846 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments