Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8645 - 01/09/06 09:59 AM Madrid apartment info please
slp4now Offline

Loc: Mexico City
Hello, My girlfriend and i will be relocating to Madrid in mid September. Hopefully some of you veterans can help us out with the following questins: What is the average rent for a studio/1BR in a decent neighborhood? Rent rules ( first month/security deposit required ?), Monthly average for utilities expenses? Nice neighborhoods to live in? Contacts for long-term apartment rentals? Thank you in advance for everyone who takes the time to post a reply!

#8646 - 01/09/06 02:31 PM Re: Madrid apartment info please
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hola! I just got back from Madrid and here are my opinions on where to live, how much to expect to pay.

A studio will run you anywhere from 550 to 800 euros depending on size and location. A one bedroom can go for more, probably starting at around 700 euros. A deposit is always required and expenses for utilities are not very bad. Cost of living in Madrid is, in my experience, low compared to the U.S. at least. In fact, I was in Mexico City over Christmas right after coming home from Madrid and I thought groceries were exhorbitant after being in Spain.

Some of the nicer neighborhoods are Salamanca, anywhere near Serrano and to a lesser extent, Chamberi. Malasa~na is good for young people, as is Arguelles (lots of students). I lived in Tetuan and I loved it. I wouldn't live anywhere else since it is right on the number 1 line and has lots of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores. I like diversity. Not everyone does.

Good luck!

#8647 - 01/10/06 07:48 PM Re: Madrid apartment info please
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
Prices can really depend. When Ilived in Spain (last spring) I lived in an apartment where my roommate and I both paid 400 Euros each and that included all utilities. The apartment was in Arguelles--kind of in the middle of the Arguelles, Moncloa, and Quevedo metro stops. I loved Arguelles because there were a lot of students...but not a lot of student life. There's also a lot of nice apartments in the Salamanca area--at surprisingly reasonable prices. I had 2 friends who lived in that area with two other guys in a 3 BR and they all paid less per person than me and my roommate.

The key thing is to try to negotiate...my roommate and I got about 100 Euros knocked off our rent just by talking to the landlord.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments