Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8298 - 06/28/05 05:00 PM Spain in October
migm77 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm going to Spain the first 2 weeks of October, landing in Madrid and then going to Barcelona, and then planning to drive down to Sevilla. I would like to know what is your experience with the Paradores Dream Week Passport. I Any really good places to stop? Thanks.

#8299 - 06/29/05 11:01 AM Re: Spain in October
TJGuy Offline

Loc: Florida
Do you have any preliminary travel plans yet? You can easily spend three days in the Madrid area to see Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca, Cuenca, Alcala de Henares, and El Escorial..all, except El Escorial are easily reached by train. I would think you would require 4 - 5 days to do the central region as it should be done without feeling like you are in a tourist blender.

#8300 - 06/29/05 06:26 PM Re: Spain in October
ellenoregon Offline

Loc: oregon usa
I would like to speak out against driving in Spain. The Spanish are excellent drivers, very fast on the highways, very nimble in the cities. It's the cities and towns that are very hard to negotiate, with small streets, hard angles and fast roundabouts. Also, if you do not speak much Spanish, you will be out of the tourist areas, trying to get directions, gas and food, without much English speaking assistance. Even small villages are a bear to negotiate because the streets are so small. Also, Spain is very big. Unlike other European countries where everything is a short drive away, Barcelona to Seville is going to be like crossing the Midwest...endless.

I speak from the experience this spring of driving from Madrid to Sevilla, to Granada, to Almeria and back to Madrid. Everything about the trip was great except for the driving. Buses would pass us over and over, advertising their cheap fares, on board movies and food and we would just sigh. I suggest you look into buses and trains and maybe flying between the big cities.

#8301 - 06/30/05 09:29 AM Re: Spain in October
migm77 Offline

Thanks for the response. I will be going October 1 to October 15, flying to Madrid and staying there for about 3 days. I plan to stay at Hotel Acapulco, and that is because of the good reviews that I see in this forum. From Madrid will go to Tarragona, where I have an apartment waiting for me (timeshare) I understand that I will be about 60 miles away from Barcelona, but I like to explore. Will spend about 5 days in the Barcelona area and then the last 5 or 6 days would like to visit the south of Spain. I speak fluent spanish so that is not an issue. I do not mind driving long distances, done it before in the US, but the high cost of gasoline is a concern, so will look into the bus lines and see if there is a real saving there.

Will keep reading the forums for more time and money savings ideas....Thanks

#8302 - 06/30/05 10:07 AM Re: Spain in October
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Yes, the driving takes a little while to get used to, but it is not bad enough to not experience the sights, sounds and smells of the countryside! In october the whole south smells like olives!

Yes, the city driving is difficult to navigate. Street names are often on the second story of buildings and can be hard to see from your tiny rental car. The street also changes names if the road curves, but these challenges make your trip more of an adventure! After the first day of driving (and a few cocktails that night) you will wake up with a renewed sense of courage to get out there and do it again!

And about the English/Spanish language knowledge, I have found the Spanish people to be most friendly and helpful - even if it means using hand gestures, you will get what you need.

After all, why would there be such a devoted group of people that chat about their experiences with such passion and long to return to this wonderful country if the challenge did not make experiencing another culture such a great thing?

Can you tell that I am a little wistful this morning?

#8303 - 07/01/05 12:19 PM Re: Spain in October
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
mimg77 - looks like we'll be in Spain the same time - we're heading over 9/23 until 10/7 - with a similar itinerary, only we are going to hit the SE coast (around Alicante).

I think there are pros and cons for a car - when we arrive in Madrid, we'll spend 3-4 days in the city w/o a car, but then we'll pick one up and head to see the SE coast to hit the beach (Alicante, Altea, Calpe, etc). I think a car is probably the best way to see the small towns off the beaten path.

We'll then head north to Barcelona, and after spending a couple days in BCN, will visit Girona and Tossa, and I have friends in Terrassa and Igualada. I'm looking for a good hostel/hotel as a "base" just outside of BCN that will be a little more afordable and has good access to the freeways but far enough that I can avoid the worst of the BCN traffic. Tarragonna may be a good option. Any other suggestions? OR would it be better to ditch the car in BCN and see all those sites by train?

thanks for the help? I'm new to the forum - looks great!

#8304 - 07/05/05 07:37 PM Re: Spain in October
migm77 Offline

Tio, it sounds like you been there before. Any must see while in Spain? This will be my first time there.

#8305 - 07/06/05 03:47 PM Re: Spain in October
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
migm77 -

I actually lived along the east coast of Spain for a couple years (in the early 90's), though mainly in smaller towns - (Albacete, Girona, Igualada, Murcia, Elche) So I am returning to see many of the things I didn't see before along with those friends I made when I was there.

What you see depends on what you like. I'm not a huge art/museum fan, and you can only see so many cathedrals, so I'll catch the main ones around Madrid/Sebovia and move on. I will be sure to catch a bullfight and soccer match in Madrid and then head off to the coast. I really look forward to seeing some of the off the beaten path pueblos on the coast, doing a little shopping (well, my wife will) and just relaxing in the plazas. You'll love the spanish people - helpful if you speak the language as many spaniards don't - but friendly nonetheless.

If you're in Barcelona area, I do recommend Girona - and I thought Montserrat was cool.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2969 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments