Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7837 - 02/17/05 06:59 PM Madrid: Hostal Lopez?
judith/chaya Offline

Loc: oakland Ca
We are going to be in Madrid end of May with our daughter. It appeaars Hostal Lopez charges by the room and not number of people so we think that a room with 2 double beds we will all be able to fit in and save some money.
Please anyone who has stayed there - how is it for sound/noise I understand Madrid does not sleep at night but with jet lag looking for a simple cheap place for the 3 of us that we can nap at off hours!! My dtr speaks Spanish well

#7838 - 02/17/05 09:04 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello judith/chaya! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board. I've added the city location to your subject line so we all know to which you're referring.

I'm afraid Hostal López does not charge by the room. They place two persons in a double room and one person in a single room. They may put 3 persons in a double room if they add a roll-away-bed but they'll charge extra for that third person. All hostels do it this way. None will allow for the possibility that 4 persons (or more!) will stay in a double room.

The noise is less now than before because the street on which is is located has been changed to a pedestrian street. So you won't hear cars, horns, or screetching brakes but you will likely hear more voices because they won't now be drowned out by the cars. On the UP side, the windows are double paned plus you have an outer shutter and an innner curtain to help shield from any noise you may hear. Still, if you're a light sleeper, you may want to request a room NOT facing the street but rather the inside air-shaft. There, you may hear more noises from other resident washing dishes or talking if their windows are open - and they MAY be at the end of MAY.

Have a great time in Madrid! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7839 - 02/18/05 01:45 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez?
tinker05 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
MM, this is probably pretty obvious & I'm just having a mental-moment but...can you clarify what you mean by Hostal Lopez not charging by the room. My husband & I are staying there next month & have our confirmed reservation for a double room. I'm sure Nuria understands that there are two of us, and I was pretty sure I understood that we're paying a total of 45 Euros for the room...not per person. Tinker

#7840 - 02/18/05 05:38 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi tinker05!

The Hostal López website states the following on their rates page:

Quote:
Rates 2005

Twin room: Single room with private bathroom € 35
Twin room: (twin beds) with exterior bathroom € 39
Twin room: (twin beds) with private bathroom € 45
Double room: (double bed) with private bathroom € 45
Triple room: (three single beds) with private bathroom € 57
Triple room: (double bed & single bed) with private bathroom € 57

Taxes included. Rates are quoted in Euros.
Prices are per room per night, not per person.
Payments must be in cash. We regret that credit cards and traveller checks are not accepted.
Disclaimer: I probably should defer to Hostal López themselves to explain their rates as I'm just describing them by experience with hostels in general and not Hostal López specifically. Please consult Hostal López directly for exact prices.

Okay. Having said all that, I'm sure it's understood that if one reserves a single room that no more than one person will stay in that room. If one reserves a twin room, it's understood that no more than 2 persons will be in that room with two twin beds. It's understood that if one reserves a double room that no more than 2 persons will stay in that room.

By their stating: "Prices are per room per night, not per person." I think they mean that no more than the intended number of persons can stay in that room. If you show up with 4-persons and only have a single room reserved they won't allow everyone to stay in that room. But if you're alone and have a double room reserved you'll pay the double room price even though you're not two persons. I'm certain that they don't charge 45 Euros per person (equalling 90 Euros eek ) for the double room. smile

Again, consult Hostal López directly for prices according to the number of persons in your group. I'm rather sure they'll tell you the same as I have above.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7841 - 02/18/05 10:56 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez?
tinker05 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks, MM! I figured that this was pretty straight-forward, but didn't want to start the vacation with a 90 Euro surprise!!! Tinker

#7842 - 02/22/05 08:15 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez?
judith/chaya Offline

Loc: oakland Ca
Thanks for clarifying and that made me realize I had ohter questions SO here goes
Does this Hostal have no-smoking rooms, do you know of any that are no-smoking? And relatively quiet?

#7843 - 02/22/05 08:55 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

judith/chaya, I've never heard of a hostel ("hostal") which did have non-smoking rooms. That's more common with hotels. But since doors and windows are opened everyday, sheets and blankets hung-up or "fluffed", no carpet on the floor, you won't likely smell any stale, old smoke in any of these places. I've never noticed it in any of those I've stayed.

Regarding quiet, some hostels are quieter than others but room #5 in Hostel XYZ might be noisier than room #7 in Hostel XYZ because of its proximity to the reception area, elevator, street, or a room housing newlyweds. Just depends.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2165 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments