Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6430 - 01/31/04 05:31 PM Madrid:Hostal Adriano - the steps?
KeesnKats Offline

Loc: Ohio USA
We'd like to stay at the Hostal Adriano , although I hear that the lift is not working / installed and one must climb up to the 4th floor.I know that they will help carry luggage.

What does 4 floors mean? Any idea of how many flights? number of stairs per flight? steep & narrow or more 'normal' (like a typical US house).

Thanks for any info! I have respiratory problems and steps sometimes pose problems for my lungs!

#6431 - 01/31/04 05:46 PM Re: Madrid:Hostal Adriano - the steps?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello fellow Ohioan! smile
Hostal Adriano does not have an elevator of any kind unfortunately but what you have heard/read is true - someone will help with luggage.

As for the "4th floor", in Spain they cound the ground floor NOT as the 1st Floor but rather as "the ground floor". SO, having said that, what they call the "4th" floor" would be our (in the USA) "5th floor".

The staircases are quite nicely wide, about double (or more) those of a typical house in the USA and and less steep in Hostal Adriano. You can SEE a photo of the building from bottom to top on the QDQ.com site HERE - this should give you an idea of the height of the building. Note that there are 3 different views of the same address - see the lower lefthand corner for the clickable numbers which says "Otras Tomas". I believe it's the #3 button which shows the front door.

And not to put you off of Hostal Adriano, but if you have respiratory problems this may not be the place for you because of the stairs. In addition to that, you live in Ohio as I do, and EVERY TIME I GO TO MADRID I need about 3 or 4 days before my body and lungs can "climatize" to the higher altitude. I have to climb a number of flights of stairs in my ladyfriend's building too and I'm always winded by the top - and I exercise on the stationary bicycle regularly too!!

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6432 - 01/31/04 07:10 PM Re: Madrid:Hostal Adriano - the steps?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Madrid is located at an altitude of about 2120 feet. MadridMan is right, depending on where you live in Ohio, you might feel the effect.

Hostal Chelo is one hostal in Madrid that does have an elevator. What I do not recall is whether or not the Gran Via metro station, which I sometimes use to get to Puerta del Sol, has an escalator. Also, you cannot depend on the escalators to be functional. Some of the metro stations do have dependable elevators, but I am not certain which ones offer that service.

I find myself doing many steps everytime I travel to Spain. It is always good exercise, but would be a challenge for many people.

#6433 - 02/01/04 09:19 AM Re: Madrid:Hostal Adriano - the steps?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I did the steps about 15 minutes ago. If I can do it anyone can! When I arrived, Javier was down the steps to get my bag before I reached the landing.

Saludos de Madrid!

#6434 - 02/02/04 08:13 AM Re: Madrid:Hostal Adriano - the steps?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
When I was there in June, there was also a lot of dust from the actual construction going on (not that the hotel itself was dusty at all - just on the first floor where they were tearing a wall out) so that may affect your respiratory problems.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2030 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments