Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5301 - 02/24/03 09:17 PM Madrid: hotel recommendation?
meg1974 Offline

I'm looking for hotel recommendations in Madrid that are near a Metro station and major attractions. I'm concerned with noise and safety, and would like a hotel with comfortable beds and non-smoking rooms. Price range is moderate ($75 - $200)

Thank you!

#5302 - 02/25/03 09:46 AM Re: Madrid: hotel recommendation?
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I would recommend the Hotel Plaza Mayor . Just a stone's throw from the Plaza Mayor and within easy walking distance of the Metro station at Sol. It's located in a very safe area--exceedingly well-lit and well-traveled at night. The staff is incredibly friendly, the rooms are clean, and I can vouch for the comfort of the beds. I stayed there by myself last summer and always felt very safe. There's also A/C with thermostat controls in each room---if you're going to be there in the summer. There's a small bar in the hotel where you can get coffee in the morning and snacks throughout the day. It cost me about $50 a night for a single.

I've sung the praises of this hotel before, so there are probably some other threads if you do a search for "Hotel Plaza Mayor."

#5303 - 02/25/03 06:55 PM Re: Madrid: hotel recommendation?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Any of the AC Hotels will be nice. I stayed in one and found it to be great.
Check them out at www.Ac-hoteles.com
There are 4 in Madrid I think.

#5304 - 02/27/03 07:34 PM Re: Madrid: hotel recommendation?
ppp Offline

Loc: NYC
We stayed at Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin . We paid around 100 euros (not including 7% vat). I believe this was a special rate for the holiday time. We chose this hotel based on opinions gathered on this forum and fodors.com.

The hotel was VERY nice and modern, but VERY small. The bathroom was VERY small and awkward. We spent little time in the hotel anyhow so it didn't bother us too much. The hotel is steps from Puerta del Sol. You are right next door to El Cortes Ingles (which, over Christmas, had this fabulous animated singing display on the outside face of the store which drew hundreds and hundreds of families and children). When you walk out of the hotel, to the left is Puerta del Sol and to the right is Plaza Mayor. The location was excellent and steps from the Sol metro stop. You are also down the street from this chocolateria, open only at night, which is unbelievable. (I forget the name).

Overall I would recommend this hotel, but perhaps you could get a better deal somewhere else. I just went to Hotel Plaza Mayor's site and it looks like a great hotel - wish I had seen that!

#5305 - 03/01/03 01:02 PM Re: Madrid: hotel recommendation?
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
hmmmm... I stayed at the Palacio San Martin in May 2002 and was quite impressed with it. Large room, large bathroom, huge and comfortable bed, etc. I would highly recommend it, especially as it's in such a great location between Gran Via and Sol and Cortes Ingles. Anyways, thought I'd get my two cents worth on this one! Plume

#5306 - 03/04/03 08:44 PM Re: Madrid: hotel recommendation?
wjw2 Offline

Loc: Eau Claire WI
I just returned from a week long stay in Madrid, with lodging being provided by a little place called ApartHotel Pegaso. I was impressed, the prices were good, the service friendly, and the location quiet. There was a 4.5 block walk (5 minutes) to Esparanzo Metro station. Two great little bar/cafe combo's within 30 meters, and a great little restaraunt just a block away. Open air markets within 2 blocks, and a small internet cafe just a half a block away. ATM machine within two blocks... . Anyway, you get the idea.
I had a room with two single beds, a nice bathroom, and a tiny kitchen. Everything was clean and new. It is located at Pegaso 19 in Madrid and is only about 10 minutes from the airport. ApartHotel Pegaso

Good Luck and enjoy Spain!
wjw

#5307 - 03/08/03 12:28 AM Re: Madrid: hotel recommendation?
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I recommend the Hotel Emperador . It is on the Gran Via, and the Santo Domingo Metro stop is literally right outside the front door. The Gran Via is noisy, but the hotel has sound insulated rooms....and non-smoking ones too.

Try www.hotelsspain.com for the best price.

Buena suerte

Lee

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2115 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments