Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4531 - 08/18/02 12:35 PM Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
Lipstique Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
Right now I'm holding a reservation for 6 nights at the Tryp Capitol on the Gran Via from March 14 - March 20 (6 nights @1 voucher per night) through Bancotel , however, the reviews on this hotel are lukewarm, either based on location or that people are just generally not satisfied with the Tryp properties at the 3 star level. I also haven't found a post here providing any information about the Tryp Capitol.

My preferences for other hotels are the Hotel Suecia , Intur Palacio San Martin, Hotel Opera (all of which are accepting Bancotel vouchers for 1-3 nights during my trip) and the Londres Hotel (which is not a Bancotel property, and I can't find an email address for, nor can I check availability, as it seems that the "agent" websites in Spain have not keyed in "2003" into their reservation system yet, thus showing no availability).

Based on Booklady's advice (she's become my mentor laugh ) and a few people from Fodors' European Forum, I have emailed the three hotels that accept Bancotel vouchers to see if they will accept the vouchers for "non-available nights". They actually all have availability, but they are just not accepting vouchers for the other nights. I've received replies from all 3 hotels and 2 of them (Suecia and Opera) have given me an outright "NO" mad , but the Palacio said to email again closer to my arrival dates.

My questions are: does anyone have any information about the Tryp Capitol, and how often does Bancotel update availability on its site? I'm going to continue to email these hotels in the coming months to check on availability and if they will accept the vouchers, as they have all received positive reviews. My feeling is that an occupied room paid for with a voucher is better than a vacant room. Also, does anyone have any information, pro/con on the Londres Hotel?

Muchas gracias.

#4532 - 08/18/02 01:26 PM Re: Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Lipstique, as for those who gave you an outright "NO", you may want to email them AGAIN as well, closer to your arrival date (3-4 months prior). MAYBE they too don't take reservations this far in advance but didn't want to say so. If you can afford to wait 'til time draws near, try again. I know you'd like to have all things arranged as soon as possible but most hotels don't like to take reservations more than 5 months in advance. Hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish), sometimes, won't take reservations more than 3 months in advance.

As for more feedback about Hotel Tryp Capitol and Hotel Opera, have you searched the forum (using the search link) yet? As you said, some recent information/reviews have come about regarding Hotel Capitol (be sure you note the spelling of "Capitol" in doing your search) or Hotel Opera? Keep that search simple by using keywords like MADRID CAPITOL or MADRID OPERA in this forum.

Finally, do you have a website address for Intur Palacio San Martin? Please tell us!! smile Thanks.

Good luck!!! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4533 - 08/18/02 03:22 PM Re: Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
Lipstique Offline

Hi Madridman -- there's absolutely nothing substantive on your site when I did a search for Tryp Capitol, Tryp Capital, Hotel Capitol, or Hotel Capital (I used various spellings), except the advice that Booklady smile gave me on the other thread, and she had mentioned that she had walked by the Tryp Capitol, and the next time that she is in Madrid she wants to stay there.

I should really just take Booklady's advice (she's been so kind and has constantly responded to my posts and guided me in the right direction) and give this issue a rest, as the hotel does seem adequate and the price is right. But, I'm going to use it as my safety hotel, as I do have a confirmed reservation there through Bancotel. I actually did find a lot of very nice interior pictures of the Tryp Capitol on the Spanish-Living.com site, just click on the Hotels & Rentals category on the left-hand side of the page and scroll down to find the hotel. I really should just go with my gut, and my first reaction, which was that this hotel seems perfectly fine, its just the area that is somewhat noisy; someone referred to it as being similar to Times Square. I would think that there would be less street noise on the upper floors. I'm just being a doubting Lipstique, because Booklady did recommend the Hotel Suecia as her first choice, and I am really trying to follow her advice to the letter, so I will follow up by email every few weeks as my departure date approaches. If I am this indecisive about picking a hotel for 6 nights (I have to remind myself I'm only showering and sleeping there, and my eyes will be shut most of the time), what am I ever going to do when I am overwhelmed with the abundance of choices I am going to have when buying shoes and handbags? Oh, decisions, decisions, this is only a vacation. laugh smile :p It's a bit overwhelming to have so many choices, it would be so much easier if I only had to choose from Column A or Column B like it used to be on the old Chinese restaurant menus (showing my age here mad ).

Regarding the Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin , I have created a hyperlink for you. It is about two blocks from the Puerto del Sol and it requires 2 vouchers per night, compared to the Hotel Suecia, Hotel Opera, and Hotel Capitol which require only 1 voucher per night. The Palacio is an upscale hotel and it is rated 4.5 stars.

#4534 - 08/18/02 08:36 PM Re: Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

All I found regarding Hotel Tryp Capitol was in the My hotels in Madrid, Marbella, & Calpe. thread:
Quote:

Our friends stayed at the Tryp Capital right by the Plaza del Sol in the center of town but 10 minute walk from us for $139 per night but the hotel was very run down!!! It was better than our first place but not even close to Hotel Victoria.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4535 - 08/18/02 09:24 PM Re: Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Lipstique,

MadridMan gave you excellent advice about calling later in the season. Please do read the posts of other travelers on this Board because most have greater insights than myself and can give you great advice. I have only been to Madrid twice, once as a young girl and last December. I hate to be your only source! laugh

Your friend that told you that the Hotel Tryp Capitol was in an area like Times Square probably meant that the Capitol is close to one of the liveliest zone of Madrid, Plaza del Callao and not far from the Puerta Del Sol. Plaza del Callao is lively because it is one of the many shopping districts of Madrid, plus it is on the Gran Via! But from this location you are not far from the Royal Palace, the aforementioned Puerta del Sol, and the Plaza Mayor.

Because of the location your source did not mislead you about the noise. However, noise is going to be a problem just about anywhere you go in the Centro de Madrid. For example at the Hotel Suecia I used ear plugs the first two nights until I got used to the noise. frown Then I was tired from sightseeing and shopping that I did not hear a thing! laugh

Madrid is a fun and noisy city. There are places that are even noisier,for example the Plaza Santa Ana, where the beautigully renovated ( 2 Bancotel coupons) Reina Victoria is located is even noisier because so many lively bars are in the area. The nickname for the Madrileños is Los Gatos, the Cats, because they party until the sun rises. laugh laugh Well put.

So, regardless of where you stay you may find some degree of noise.

Don't worry about being undecisive at this time. This is your research time, so it is good that you are weighing your options and seeking information from many sources. I had a very successful trip thanks to the many wonderful members of this Board who were very generous with their advice and with the many previous posts that other members left for future travelers. MadridMan will go directly to Heaven for building this site! wink

No matter where you stay I hope you have a great trip. smile

#4536 - 08/19/02 07:16 PM Re: Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
Lipstique Offline

Madridman, when did your friends stay at the Tryp Capitol? The review is depressing frown . I'm hoping that it was a while ago, at least a couple of years, as I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the hotel was refurbished. I'm going to keep the reservation at the Tryp Capitol for the time being.

On another note, I contacted Bancotel (very helpful and friendly staff cool ) again and found out a few things -- they update their website regularly, opening up and closing down dates on the availability page, adding new hotels, and removing others, etc. However, from what I can tell the contract year ends on March 31, so I won't have to worry about the hotels that I have reservations with withdrawing from the program. The woman I have been corresponding with at Bancotel also suggested that I check back regularly to see if the Suecia or Opera have opened up the dates that I am looking for.

Also, one of my penpals that lived in Spain for 6 years, and on her return trips stays at the Suecia (booking through Bancotel) said that she will gladly make a telephone call for me to the Suecia, nearer to my arrival date to see if they will accept the vouchers, in case I don't succeed by either the Bancotel site or by email. I'm going to take her up on her offer, because she has been a repeat guest, and she speaks fluent Spanish. Need to cut through the red tape when I can. laugh

I'll keep all of you advised of my progress.

#4537 - 08/19/02 08:29 PM Re: Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Lipstique, the quote I ... ummm.. quoted above was not mine, but from the thread to which I linked (see the blue, underlined words.. it's a link to the thread).

Booklady's right, Plaza de Callao, where Hotel Tryp Capitol is located, IS very much what would be Madrid's Times Square. This is a shopping CENTER/ZONE as well as where the big movie houses premier many of Spain's top movies. I've heard stories that people who stay in hotels across from some of these cinemas had trouble sleeping (probably early) because these cinemas would blare out loud music, soundtracks from the movie, I think, untill very late. I'd like to think this was an isolated event though.

Still, the Hotel Capitol is one of Madrid's landmarks, one of the most photographed buildings in the city. Can't wait to hear what you decide. You have LOTS of time to prepare yet.

Saludos, MadridMan

#4538 - 08/19/02 09:01 PM Re: Madrid/Bancotel Vouchers
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
Hi! I stayed at Palacio San Martin in May and wrote an appreciation on this thread:
Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin
Hope this helps.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments