Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4352 - 06/18/02 05:10 PM Group hotel booking discounts?
Sonia Offline

Loc: Liverpool
I’ve just been asked to organise the hotel bookings for a meeting in Andalusia in September. Would it be better for me to contact the hotel directly, or go through a travel agent? The hotel has a webpage and online booking, and I was thinking of just sending them an e-mail asking for a quote – but then maybe a travel agent would be better placed to negotiate a deal for a group booking?

My instinct is to go through the travel agent, because I don't think I've got the confidence to go direct with a large booking in another country. However my boss (a local boy) thinks we should book ourselves into the best hotel in town and sweet talk our parent company into paying for it. I told him that I’m sure they will pay if we all share one room, and he sleeps in the bath.

Anyway, is this a silly question, or does anyone else have any pearls of wisdom to offer me before I go any further? I’ve asked my boss to tell me how to say “group booking discount” in Spanish just in case.

Thanks everyone.

Sonia

#4353 - 06/18/02 05:27 PM Re: Group hotel booking discounts?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Sonia

What a chore having to have a meeting in a hotel in Andalucia. What a shame! Sounds fun! wink wink

As far as the booking is concerned, I don't know. Maybe you could try both ways and see which gives you the better result - although could be difficult to achieve if you are asking to stay at the same establishment both times.

Mind you, with these work does, who needs to sleep anyway? Just the one room will be more than enough for any number of you going, I'm sure!

Sorry Sonia, not much help am I? rolleyes

Jo

#4354 - 06/18/02 06:15 PM Re: Group hotel booking discounts?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is a good question. Here's my own advice... and I'm not saying it's the correct/best way, just that it's my opinion....

Contact the hotel first, tell them your situation and ask them to give you their best deal. Ask if they will fax you a quote (they probably won't).

THEN, contact a travel agent... preferably one in Spain if that's even possible for you (try Halcon Viajes - they're a big one in Spain and we've used them with good results) and ask them to do the same. They probably won't even contact the hotel directly but will look on their computer for the "rack rate" or some other discounted group rate for you. Ask them to fax you a quote too (they probably will).

FINALLY, why not contact the fine folks at Bancotel and see if there's anything THEY can do. They usually only give coupon books for multi-hotel stays, but MAYBE they can do something on ONE hotel for a group. You never know. And it might be a long-shot that Bancotel works with the particular hotel it seems you've already chosen.

Of course, do all this with the "retail price" (website price) already in mind. Sounds like a big job, but use the net. It's your friend! hehehe.. wink Good luck and have a GREAT time when you're not conferencing. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4355 - 06/20/02 06:19 AM Re: Group hotel booking discounts?
Sonia Offline

Well, I've just visited the website of the hotel that Carlos has suggested, and it is very, very posh (I'm going to feel a right hillbilly turning up there with my rucksack and pull-along trolly suitcase). I then checked through the records to find out what our hotel budget was last time and it was very, very small.

Thank you both very much for your suggestions, what I think I will do is fax them a business-like looking letter on the company letterhead asking for a quote, and see if that won't win them over, and then if we can cut a good deal and I get the thumbs up from London (I mean, a London-based company must be well used to paying over the odds for hotel accommodation eek ) I'll then hand it over to our travel agent in Liverpool. I also have to book the flights through the travel agent, but he is such a fusspot I just couldn't bear to have to keep him occupied with hotel as well as flight bookings until absolutely necessary.

[I supposed I'd better give them a plug - they are Portia World Travel, 6 North John Street, Liverpool L2 4SD, no webpage I'm afraid but their e-mail address is business@pwt.mersinet.co.uk or tel: 0151-227 1731. They are a small outfit, part of Mersey Docks and Harbour Co, and I have to say they really do work hard to find us a good price on flights.]

Anyway, rest assured I will post a review of wherever it is we eventually end up!

I think Bancontel will probably not be appropriate this time - but I bookmarked their site straight away for future reference, I am absolutely delighted you directed me to it!

Jo-Anne, nobody ever has any sympathy for the fact that I have to organise and minute a 5 hour meeting in Spain every year!!! Ok, so the meeting gets shorter every year, and the lunch afterwards becomes more typically Spanish (ie later and longer) wink

Sonia

#4356 - 06/20/02 07:23 AM Re: Group hotel booking discounts?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
Well, I've just visited the website of the hotel that Carlos has suggested, and it is very, very posh
Sonia, who is Carlos and to what hotel website did he refer you?

Good luck to you in your planning! Hope you get that group discount. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4357 - 06/20/02 07:34 AM Re: Group hotel booking discounts?
Sonia Offline

Sorry, Carlos is the boss in Spain mentioned earlier. I thought it was time I named and shamed him. I'll let you have the name of the hotel after I've brokered my deal, I'm playing my cards close to my chest!

Adios,
Sonia

#4358 - 06/20/02 07:47 AM Re: Group hotel booking discounts?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Sounds so exciting Sonia.

Can't you just get the meeting done on the plane? And report the results briefly when you arrive? More time left for the important things then.

Ask Carlos if he needs me to do anything!

I'll be following this with interest!

BTW Sonia (sorry, MM off topic) I booked my rail ticket from Hudds to Liverpool Lime for 6.20 am! Then I hope to find the special airport bus and take it from there. I presume it will be obvious and easy to find?

Jo

#4359 - 06/20/02 11:31 AM Re: Group hotel booking discounts?
Sonia Offline

Hi Joanne,

That is an absolutely fabulous idea, and I will certainly raise it as an agenda item for next year! It will go down well.

The short answer about the bus is no, it's not easy to find! I'm going to send you a private message about this, because I've just posted it here and it was so long and boring it seemed to kill the topic stone dead!

You see, my life can't be that exciting if I know such an unhealthy amount about local transport.

Good luck.

Sonia

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2083 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments