Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66390 - 03/08/01 08:43 PM ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
argandino Offline

Anyone else hear ever like or listen to the group Camela? I used to get criticized by some of my spaniard friends for liking their music, but it reminds me of my days in the pueblos, as it would be heard blasting from the casas of the señoras as they mopped the sidewalks in front of their houses each morning. I know that its not considered high class music by a lot of Spaniards, but it is the music of the masses and reminds me of the authentic Spanish experience. I had'nt been able to indluge my guilty pleasure of listening to their music when I returned to the states. Their music is impossible to find outside of spain, even on CDNow and other sites. I think 90% of their album sales come from rastros, and they're on some independent label. However thank God for Napster. I have been able to download all their old songs that I remember as well as new stuff of theirs that was released after I left. I would recommend d/l'ing their songs from Napster before it shuts down, since they might be hard to find once again.
Anyone else here like, hate, heard of Camela? What do you think.

#66391 - 03/09/01 05:34 AM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
Miguelito Offline

I have divided feelings with them because I don't think that they make good music but I can have fun with that music from time to time, I usually defence them as if they were my favourite group.
Have you hear the last boom of this year?
They have beat to U2 in the number one of sells, they are called Estopa, they sing some kind of rumba.

#66392 - 03/09/01 06:53 AM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
nevado Offline

I think 90% of their sales come from the gas stations! Gotta love 'em!

#66393 - 03/09/01 01:23 PM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
Guapetona Offline

In my opinion..........
Estopa ha conseguido recuperar la rumba espanola!

MM Have you heard their music? I'm sure you would love it.

#66394 - 03/09/01 01:44 PM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Shawn, have you heard of them?

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 03-09-2001).]

#66395 - 03/09/01 04:11 PM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Guapetona, nope. Sorry. Haven't heard of them. I even did a search for them on www.RitmoYPasion.com (it's a BMG music/CD club of which I am a member), but they weren't listed.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66396 - 03/09/01 08:00 PM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Me encanta Estopa!!!!!! My brother in law in Madrid introduced us to them a few months back, and I have to say, their music is pretty addicting!!
Funny side note: when we rented a car in January to drive to Granada, someone had left a tape of Estopa in the cassette deck, so we were able to really get into them on our journey.Now everytime I listen to the Cd,I think of our trip to Andalucia and memories come flooding back!!!!

#66397 - 03/09/01 09:41 PM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOO HOO!!! THIS JUST IN!!!! By chance, I typed in and got the OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF ESTOPA @ http://www.ESTOPA.com !!!

You can listen to ALL of their first song (from their current CD, I assume) and clips from the rest of the songs. Cool use of flash in the index page as well as the menu bar. I'm listening to ESTOPA for the first time and I like it!

As a hint, you'll need to CLICK OFF the background music integraded in the flash page in the lower lefthand corner before activating the music clips which are played using the RealPlayer .

ENJOY!! I AM!! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66398 - 03/09/01 11:18 PM Re: ¿Qué opinas de Camela?
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Thanks Antomio!

Antonio gave me a nice lesson in comtemporary Spanish music last year through the famed, yet rarely used, Madridman chat room. He and I listened to Cadena 40 simultaneously through the great link provided by MM, as a song was being played we were able to discuss it. I knew of Estopa prior to by late September trip and proceeded quickly to Corte Ingles on arrival in Madrid to purchase their disc. Suprisingly, here in Los Angeles with such a large Spanish speaking community I have yet to encounter Estopa in the record stores. I am easily able to find other popular acts: Alejandro Sanz, Laura Puasani, Ketama, and Enrique Inglesias, but not Estopa.
I enjoy playing Spanish music as it reminds me of the beautiful country that gave birth to such sounds.

BTW, when is their next disc planned for release?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1571 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments