Thought I'd pass along the secret of one of my favorite discount and remaindered book catalogs. Daedalus Books ( www.salebooks.com ) has a TON of Spain-related books and CDs, dirt cheap.

Representative books:

Andalusia (photo book) by Éliane Faure, published at $19.99, now $6.98.

Architecture and Ideology in Early Medieval Spain by Jerrilynn D. Dodds, published at $55.00, now $14.98.

Death and Money in the Afternoon: A History of the Spanish Bullfight by Adian Shubert, published at $25.00, now $5.98.

Mazurka for Two Dead Men Camilo by (Nobel Laureate) José Cela, translated by Patricia Haugaard, hardcover published at $21.95, now $4.98; paperback published at $10.95, now $3.98 (they have both).

Representative CDs:

Las Cantigas de Santa Maria: Songs and Instrumental Music from the Court of Alfonso X--The Waveerly Consort with Jan DeGaetani, Constantine Cassolas, Nicholas Kepros. Was $14.00, now $5.98

Duende Exploration: Crossing Borders of Flamenco. Various Artists. Was $16.00, now $5.98.
The Castellani-Andriaccio Duo: Danzas & More for Two Guitars. Was $18.00, now $6.98.

Iberian Garden Vols. 1 & 2: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Music in Medieval Spain. Altramar Medieval Music Ensemble. Were $12.00 each, now $10.95 each.

This isn't nearly everything. A search for the word "Spanish" turned up 32 books and 27 CDs. A search for "Spain" turned up 24 books and 20 CDs (obviously lots of overlap onthese two).

I've been shopping Daedalus for years. The books arrive fast and in perfect condition, and shipping is a flat $4.95 per order no matter how many books you order.

Enjoy--and apologies if this torpedoes your travel budgets!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 01-27-2001).]