Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85829 - 11/27/09 04:36 PM Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Last night, I finished the movie "Belle Epoque" (I think that is the correct title. I know it came out in '92, but I am a newbie here. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think? Was it truly so deep that each of the four women represented an aspect of the Spanish government in the pre-Civil War days? (I read that in a review on Amazon and thought, "Wow, I just thought they were four sisters!") I did enjoy this movie, so if anyone has any other recommended films, let me know!

#85832 - 11/27/09 09:29 PM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well , that film I´m assuming is French ( from the title ) . If you really had to immerse yourself in Spanish language/culture I would suggest Pedro Almodóvar . Spain´s most prolific director . ( MM and I have had the privilege of being in his presence ! ) . Whilst I understand Spanish very well , I usually put up the English subtitles . Listening to the Spanish and reading the English is a great way to learn the language . I´d also recommend the films of Guillermo de Toro ( Mexican I think ) .. El Laberinto de Pan ( Pan´s Labyrinth ) and El Orfanato ( The orphanage ) .... Scary ( both ) but spectacular . Once you have a reasonable level of Spanish a great way to get better is listen to Spanish radio ... <it can be difficult but it´s a great way to learn .
I have a big collection of Spanish films ( some that are no longer available ) .. One of my favourites from the 80s is "La Estanquera de Vallecas " ( Vallecas is a blue collar neighbourhood of Madrid ) .. It´s so funny ! But the language is colloquial .

#85835 - 11/27/09 11:46 PM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: steve robinson]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

"Belle Epoque" is a Spanish film (directed by Fernando Trueba), and it won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 1993. The title refers to a period of time in from the late 1800s until the beginning of World War I in 1914; however, it's a bit misleading since it takes place in the 1930s. I think it is a marvelous film and it features some of the best actors in Spain.

As Steve wrote, I would also recommend Pedro Almodovar; however, keep in mind that some of his films have rather strong content and aren't necessarily for the faint of heart. That said, one of my favorite Almodovar films is "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" (Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios) which was his breakthrough film in the US and features a very young Antonio Banderas. It was nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 1989. Also, I love "All About My Mother" (Todo Sobre Mi Madre), and it won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 1999. It stars Penelope Cruz and it brings me to tears every time I see it. Lastly, I think "Volver" is really great, and Penelope Cruz was nominated for the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role in this film. I love seeing Carmen Maura -- who is the star of "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" -- make a comeback in this movie. Also, the fabulous Chus Lampreave is in all of the above films except "All About My Mother."

One film that has great scenery shots of Barcelona is "L'Auberge Espagnole (The Spanish Apartment)." It's mostly in French and it's about a French graduate student living in Barcelona, but parts of it are in English and Spanish, too. Audrey Tatou has a small role in this movie.

As Steve said, the films by Mexican director Guillermo del Toro are very good. The Spanish name of "Pan's Labryinth" is "El laberinto del fauno," and I mention that only because I was scolded one time for saying "El laberinto de pan" by a Spaniard. wink I haven't seen "El Orfanato" but it received excellent reviews.

You really might want to try to see some movies with Javier Bardem as he's an fantastic actor, too. "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" is in English (and also stars his girlfriend/perhaps fiance Penelope Cruz, who won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for this film) and has some wonderful shots of Barcelona and Oviedo. I thought he was absolutely magnificent in "The Sea Inside" (Mar Adentro) which won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2005.

There are many, many other good Spanish films, of course. But, these should be the most accessible to you, and as you can tell, they've been recognized here in the US. Incidentally, Pedro Almodovar's latest film, "Broken Embraces" (Los abrazos rotos) stars Penelope Cruz and just made its US premiere in New York last week. It should be opening in other US theaters at the end of December.

Enjoy! smile

#85836 - 11/28/09 05:45 AM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: la historiadora]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Jejejeje .. thanks for the corrections of my errors ... It was early in the morning .. I should have paid more attention .

#85837 - 11/28/09 08:25 AM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: steve robinson]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Thanks. I have actually seen all the films you mentioned except the scary ones. I loved the Pedro Almodovar films and I'm in love with Javier, too. (Yes, I know he belongs to "Pe") The first time I saw him was in "Mar Adentro" and I thought, at first, that he was an older man. As the film progressed, of course, I realized that he was a younger man playing an older man. That was such a powerful movie. (and it made me think long and hard about assisted suicide) Vicky Christina Barcelona was an odd movie for me, too. Plus, I watched it with my husband right before I went to Spain alone. That film didn't inspire confidence in Spanish men for him. For me, Woody Allen is just peculiar.

This isn't Spanish, but did any of you see Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men"? As I'm writing this, I am wondering if Javier did his own voice over for the Spanish version? Although if you speak English first, perhaps you saw the Original Version of that movie.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check them out.

#85838 - 11/28/09 08:26 AM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: teachertraveler8]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Oops..I forgot my suggestions for you. Have you seen 'El Norte", "Maria Full of Grace" or "The Motorcyle Diaries"? All Mexican/South American films with powerful messages. All in Spanish, too.

#85839 - 11/28/09 11:09 AM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: teachertraveler8]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
There are so many wonderful films from Spain and Latin America.
Here is a list of some of my favorites (in no specific order):
Nueve Reinas (Argentina) --perhaps my favorite! ; Lovers of the Arctic Circle (Spain)-- La lengua de las mariposas (Spain) 1936, Galicia-- Ay, Carmela (Spain) director: Carlos Saura --Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (Spain) Almodóvar at his absolute best, in my opinion-- Volver (Spain) also a great Almodóvar film--Abre los ojos (Spain) an Amenenabar film, the original version of Vanilla Sky--Mar Adentro (Spain) also by Amenabar, also in Galicia. Fantastic film!--The Official Story (Argentina) also one of the best Latin american films--Fresa y Chocolate (Cuba)--Valentín (Argentina) one of the sweetest films, with Carmen Maura as the grandmother-- El Norte (Guatemala) powerful and haunting--Motorcycle Diaries (Argentina) great film--Maria Full of Grace (Columbia) excellent and very powerful! The Carlos Saura films are also great: Bodas de Sangre especially!
That is what I can think of off hand. There are so many good films. enjoy!!

#85840 - 11/28/09 11:54 AM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: esperanza]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
for me the best!Ay Carmela!, great work by Carmen Maura,Andrés Pajares and Juan Diego..!!The irony of the civil war!!

#85841 - 11/28/09 02:06 PM Re: Catching up on Spanish movies...Belle Epoque [Re: jazz]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Carlos Saura did a great film/documentaru called "Sevillanas" .. it gives me goose bumps every time I see it . Fresa y Chocolate is amazing .. I´d forgotten about that one . La Lengua de las Mariposas ... I bought that film many months ago and still haven´t seen it . It intrigued me because the language options were Gallego or Castellano . Amenabar I saw in Plaza de Chueca last year . I was with a friend who recognised him immediately and followed him to the men´s room . He now has a good photo of him and the director in the bar .

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2384 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments