Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#70198 - 05/31/08 11:37 AM Cathedral of the Sea
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Just bought this book in English. Also have it in Spanish for a friend of mine down on the island. Can't wait to read it. Has anyone else enjoyed this book?

#70199 - 05/31/08 12:45 PM Re: Cathedral of the Sea
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
This book's supposed to be fantastic ! I have it in Spanish , bought as a gift from a Nicaraguan friend ( who's now back in Managua ) . I'm too lazy to read it myself but i've heard good things about it .. The cover of the Spanish edition proclaims " un exito sin precedentes " ! I guess i'm gonna have to start reading it . Looking forward to hearing your opinion ! Steve

By the way what "island" ? I wasn't aware there were too many islands near Philadelphia ? ..... Well , I just looked at a map and had NO idea you were near the coast ! My USA geography needs improvement I guess !

#70200 - 05/31/08 02:19 PM Re: Cathedral of the Sea
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Steve,

Sorry, I spend about half my year on the island of Aruba.

#70201 - 05/31/08 05:31 PM Re: Cathedral of the Sea
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

ohhhh Niceee !! Jejeje I have friends who went there for honeymoon . Lucky you ! Anyway , as I said , I'll be interested in your thoughts about the book . I might cheat and buy a copy in English ....To my shame .. Steve

#70202 - 06/03/08 09:48 AM Re: Cathedral of the Sea
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Steve,

As for Cathedral of the Sea, I'm cheating myself, reading in English. Whenever I'm off the island my Spanish deteriorates rapidly. Plus, most of the Spanish I speak, which isn't enough or very good, I learned from my Colombian friends. They laugh constantly but in a good way.

There's now a flight from Madrid to Aruba, a 747 charter I think. People come for 1 week at a Riu hotel and the second week on a cruise. I'm meeting more and more Spaniards and enjoying that immensely. I'm surprised they would find the Caribbean interesting given how much history and great port are around the Med. But, I suppose many of them have done those places already. There is also Spain's tremendous influence in the region. And yet, Aruba is a quasi-Dutch island. Bizarre.

#70203 - 06/03/08 12:02 PM Re: Cathedral of the Sea
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Admiral44 . Yes , my friend who went for her honeymoon in Aruba , married a Dutch soldier .. about 13 years ago now .. hence the choice of Aruba I guess !
I've met quite a few Colombians here too .. The accent is very very strong .. from Barranquilla ... Fun loving people always up for a party .
Well let's see what we think of the book ! Steve

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2047 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments