Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#70116 - 01/09/08 11:58 AM Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
In last Saturday's Wall St. Journal, the current star of "No Country for Old Men" listed his five all-time favorite Spanish films:
-"Muerte de Un Ciclista" (1955) directed by his uncle Juan Bardem,
-"Calle Mayor" (1956) also directed by his uncle,
-"Los Santos Inocentes" (1984) for which Francisco Rabal won the Best Actor Award at Cannes,
-"El Verdugo" (1963) produced during the Franco era. and
-"Tierra" (1996), directed by Julio Medem.

#70117 - 01/09/08 10:16 PM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Interesting! I will have to look for those films, although I'm wondering how available they will be in the US. In case you (or anyone else) missed it, Javier won Best Supporting Actor for his role in "No Country for Old Men" at the Critics' Choice Awards last night. thumbsup

#70118 - 01/09/08 11:27 PM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I love him!!!!! He's wonderful...

#70119 - 01/10/08 06:13 AM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've been wanting to see "No Country for Old Men" but I didn't realize Javier Bardem was in a supporting role. I thought he was the star! Well, for many of us, HE IS THE STAR of this film.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70120 - 01/10/08 07:10 AM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
arthurg Offline

I guess technically speaking Javier Bardem in "No Country For Old Men" is in a "supporting" role, but in reality the film is made great by three wonderful actors----ie Mr Bardem, Josh Brolin & Tommy Lee Jones.
By the way, of his five listed favorites, I had recently seen "Muerte de Un Ciclista" at a cinema in New York City. I thought it was excellent and believe it is available in the US through Amazon.

#70121 - 01/10/08 08:14 AM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
toñete Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo-madrid
I have seen all of them but Tierra, from Julio Medem. They all are really worthy. el verdugo is amazing. All of them were produced during Franco regime but tierra and Los Santos Inocentes, but Los Santos Inocentes is settled during the dictatorship.Another excellent movie from berlanga and also from that period is Placido, and, of course, "Bienvenido Mr.MArshall". It is funny to realise that he does not name any film from Almodovar...mmmm...

#70122 - 01/14/08 08:37 AM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
He won the Golden Globe last night...Yippee!!!!

#70123 - 01/14/08 10:29 AM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
arthurg Offline

It's a shame because of the Writers' Strike, we weren't able to see a full-fledged telecast with all the usual Hollywwood glitter and glamour.

#70124 - 01/15/08 08:47 AM Re: Javier's Bardem's Favorite Spanish Movies
toñete Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo-madrid
If you read some Spanish press, you will realize how bardem and his family ( all of them actors and filmakers ) are very cruelly insulted, only because their political opinions, no matter if their work as artists are good. That,s the dark Spain. They have to go abroad to work in a quiet atmosphere. very sad.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2242 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments