Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#68955 - 12/19/04 02:07 PM Spanish Christmas CD suggestions
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Hello all-
My father is from Spain and, as I was growing up, we used to listen to some Spanish Christmas music (on vinyl eek - I must be old!).

Anyway, the albums have been lost, and I would like to to have some CDs of my own. Every year I forget to look until after Christmas, which is too late!

Does anyone have any suggestions for some good ones? I am specifically looking for the compilations of more "traditional Spanish" Christmas songs. Unfortunately, I don't remember the titles of the songs I heard growing up, but I recognize them if I hear them.

Also, if anyone knows of U.S. distributors of these CDs that would be great, too.

Thanks for your help!

Felíz Navidad!
smile
...and if anyone can remind me where to find the "upside down" exclamation point on the Windows traditional spanish setting, that would be nice, too :o

#68956 - 12/19/04 03:53 PM Re: Spanish Christmas CD suggestions
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
Right first let me make it clear, I'm not an expert on Spanish music and can't even claim to have a real like to a lot of the pop music stuff I have heard.... but I do happen to know that there is an album/CD available now that purportadly has the 15 greatest Spanish popular songs of all time. The music I think is from the '60s to modern day and has been released in conjuction with some kind of television phone-in where the winner will be announced at some time in the silly season.

I don't watch a lot of Spanish TV but I'm sure one of our listers who is more flent in Spanish will be able to point in the direction of the album name and will quite possibly tell you to avoid it.

Any takers???

wink

Personally I really like classical music and think Albeniz is great especially his piece called Asturias.

M.

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#68957 - 12/19/04 04:21 PM Re: Spanish Christmas CD suggestions
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Take a look at the Spanish webpage @ http://www.terra.es/personal/7sietes/villacas.htm of "Villancicos en Castellano" to see titles, read lyrics, and listen to some of them in midi format. That'll hopefully remind you/us of the titles you're seeking and we can go from there.

Many of the "Villancicos" found in the USA will be those of Latin America. And many of THOSE will likely be the same as those in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68958 - 12/20/04 02:14 AM Re: Spanish Christmas CD suggestions
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Thanks MM! That was very useful, and the site you recommended has some nice pictures of This years Christmas decorations in Madrid.

I'm wasn't been able to make a comprehensive list, but here are a few of my favorites (in no particular order):
Ay del Chiquirritín
Campana Sobre Campana
Dime Niño Quien Eres
Fum, Fum, Fum
La Marimorena
Noche de Paz (I know, really German)
Rin, Rin
Ya Viene La Vieja
Arre, Burro, Arre

So, anyone have any suggestions for good compilations I might try? I will try to do a search on my own later, but now I have to get to bed.

¡Muchas grácias!

P.S. For others, if you aren't able to hear the midi files, I noticed that for some reason terra.es was on my restricted sites list when using Internet Explorer. Once I removed it, I could hear the music.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2052 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments