Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#68721 - 08/14/04 10:18 AM Literature of Madrid or Sevilla
smomanteo Offline

Loc: Greensboro, NC, USA
Hello. I am traveling to Spain next month (can hardly wait), and I'm looking for a good modern novel and book of poetry about Spain. I'll be visiting Madrid, Sevilla and Granada, so if the book is set in one of these cities, all the better.

I'm reading "Death in the Afternoon" right now because I'm heading to a bullfight in Madrid, but I'm looking for something more contemporary and diversionary to prepare for and read on my trip. Thanks for any advice you have....Sean

#68722 - 08/14/04 11:21 AM Re: Literature of Madrid or Sevilla
mecky Offline

Loc: US
One of my favorite books is by Arturo Perez Reverte "THE SEVILLE COMMUNION" I know Sevilla very well and by reading the book I felt I was walking along with the characters if in Sevilla especially Triana and all the other neighborhoods and then also in Rome the Vatican I know it well also. Have been reading "Death in the afternoon. I think you will enjoy Reverte's novels, others have been also translated in English. But the above is my most favorite. Enjoy traveling in Spain.

#68723 - 08/14/04 12:06 PM Re: Literature of Madrid or Sevilla
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
If you're looking for something more "diversionary" and you're reading Hemingway's "Death in the Afertnoon" (which is GREAT for the most minute details of bullfighting) you could also read Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises".

"The Sun Also Rises" is probably more entertaining than "Death in the Afernoon" because "The Sun Also Rises" has enteresting/entertaining storylines which take place in Spain among characters you really grow to love. It's a GREAT story, a true classic, and it will keep your attention.

What is it about Hemingways' novels? I know what it is, of course, but my goodness! I always have such a heavy feeling in my heart and my eyes water when I read the last paragraph.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68724 - 08/22/04 06:32 PM Re: Literature of Madrid or Sevilla
mmh166 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Try " Duende "

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2695 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments