Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66904 - 11/11/01 11:25 AM Juan Luis Guerra??
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Is anyone familiar with the music of Juan Luis Guerra, a Dominican popular in Spain? The folks in the music section of El Corte Ingles were less than helpful (ditto for the folks in the children's book section of El Corte Ingles; fortunately, the clerks in the clocks and "gifts" section upstairs were much more polite, friendly and helpful) although they did turn up his most recent cd. I checked amazon.com...it appears he has numerous cds. Could anyone tell me about his music or direct me to a location to "sample" it?

#66905 - 11/11/01 01:39 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
Jaime Offline

Hi Carole,
Juan Luis Guerra is one of my all time favorites and I have all his c.d's. His music is so great because it covers the range in style and is so diverse... ballads, acoustic, merengue etc... He many times sings about social, poltical topics that relate to the Dom. Rep. and Latin America. You can find some of them at places like Amazon but the best thing to do is enroll in one of those music clubs like BMG or Columbia for their Latin music catologue, eg, Club Musica Latina. I'm sure the more you listen to his music the more you will grow to love it.

Jaime smile

#66906 - 11/11/01 01:50 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
Felix Offline

Loc: madrid
Carole, Juan Luis Guerra is quite famous here. He has several cds and also one with greatest hits. His miusic is nice. YOu can find some information in the web page of fnac www.fnac.es
If you go there and search for Juan Luis Guerra in "discos" section you will find the information and I think they also have some sample of his music (although it doesn't work in my computer confused )
Good luck

#66907 - 11/11/01 02:17 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Juan Luis Guerra also does a lot of ballads and merengue (being from the Dominican Republic). I personally really like his stuff. If you are back in the States, Borders has some of his stuff, and you might be able to listen to it there.

#66908 - 11/11/01 02:40 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The official website for Juan Luis Guerra is @ http://www.juanluisguerra.com.do

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66909 - 11/11/01 05:07 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
Tia Offline

His music is very entertaining - makes you feel as happy as a lark. wink I have two of his cd´s (that I´ve bought here in Sweden) and I listen to those songs quite often. My favourites are 'Ojalá que llueva café', 'La Bilirrubina' and 'Carta de amor' from Grandes Éxitos de Juan Luis Guerra 440. I can really recommend you to buy that cd. It should not be very difficult to find it either in some music shop or on the internet. Good luck! Tia

Oye me dio una fiebre el otro día
por causa de tu amor cristiana
que fui a parar la enfermería
sin yo tener seguro de cama.

Y me inyectaron suero de colores
y me sacaron la radiografía
y me diagnosticaron mal de amores
al ver mi corazón como latía.

Y me tratiaron hasta el alma
con rayos X y cirugía
y es que la ciencia no funciona
sólo tus besos vida mía...

(La bilirrubina)

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Tia ]

#66910 - 11/12/01 12:51 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, everyone, for all your help.

Felix, I went to the fnac website and listened to some of Juan Guerra's songs. I'm not sure he's what I'm looking for. I don't understand "sung" Spanish enough to enjoy the ballads. Which cd is comprised of acoustic songs?

Madridman--I liked that link with words to the songs included.

Now let me tell you WHO I like and see if I can get any further suggestions of similar music and/or specific cds.

Gipsy Kings
NovaMenco
Oscar Lopez (I love his stuff.)
Robert Kyle (Brazilian Moon)
DiBlasio

We also bought a nice CD from some street performers in Madrid. Sipan: Spirit and Music...pan flute songs...kind of Peruvian sounding.

What about salsa? Can someone suggest a sampling? (I wanted to go to a Salsa Club in Madrid. As we surveyed the long line of people waiting to go inside, my husband would only consent if there were other gray-haired adults in the crowd. Nadie!)

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Carole Chiaro ]

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Carole Chiaro ]

#66911 - 11/12/01 05:23 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Carole Chiaro, I believe you'll find some salsa clubs listed in the "Food, Drink, & Entertainment" forum if you use the SEARCH link. But in short, El Palacio Gaviria has a room (one of 3) which plays salsa music. Have fun!

For Spanish CDs (CDs, FROM Spain), you'll find many, including ALL those from the Gypsy Kings on MadridMan's ALL Spain Market .

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66912 - 11/12/01 06:40 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi Carol. For salsa try some of Celia Cruz's music. Cuban salsa is particularly hot, but I also just bought a CD at Borders of Afrro-Cuban salsa performed by west African artists. It is awesome. the salsa is just slightly different, but very cool. I think Putomayo (sp?) has a collection of Cuban music or Latin Music. It would be a nice intro into that genre.

#66913 - 11/13/01 12:16 PM Re: Juan Luis Guerra??
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Madridman, I "checked out" your suggestions. I especially like the sampling of Behzad, Strings of Desire and Marc Antoine, Madrid and Cruisin' .

Thanks, Nicole. I'll take a look at Celia Cruz for salsa.

Meanwhile, has anyone bought the Gipsy Kings' new cd?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2060 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments