Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#65874 - 09/14/00 04:20 PM Spanish films in Madrid
Catherine Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
Hello everyone...I just found the message board and am thrilled at all the advice and debate.

I am going to be studying in Alcalá de Henares this fall and spending a few days in Madrid before I move into the university residence there. I am studying Spanish film and was wondering if anyone could suggest any good films out now in Madrid or any bars that screen local filmmakers' works, etc. A couple of years ago I saw some Spanish films at Cuatro Caminos but it seemed like most of the theaters around the Gran Vía showed only American movies. Is there a perception that Spanish movies belong in "art" theaters? What are everyone's views on Spanish films, aside from the Almodóvar phenomenon?
Thanks,
Catherine

#65875 - 09/15/00 12:53 AM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
They show Spanish movies all over Madrid. Although it may seem like only American movies, there are many Spanish ones as well. I saw "Todo sobre mi madre" in a theater near the Plaza del Callao. You should pick up a copy of the Guia del ocio from any kiosko, there is a pretty complete list of the movies and theaters in the Madrid city and comunidad.

#65876 - 09/15/00 07:14 AM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
You want to see some Spanish films? Well, when you get there, don't miss the TV program "Cine del Barrio" (it's on one of the national channels, Nuria or Antonio might know which). They show these old Spanish movies, often from the 60s and 70s, and they get the actors/actresses who appeared in them to come on the show. The guy who presents it is kind of camp, and the films...Hombre, que risa!

#65877 - 09/15/00 01:55 PM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
Catherine

Have a look at these:
Pedro Almodovar's:
Matador with a young Antonio Banderas
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Dark Habits
What have I done to Deserve this

#65878 - 09/15/00 03:20 PM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
connie Offline

You should check out the Filmoteca (Cine Doré) in the Calle Santa Isabel. They show movies of artistic value from Spain and abroad, older and more recent ones, it is a very nice old cinema and pretty cheap as well.

#65879 - 09/15/00 07:03 PM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi Catherine,

You will find several Spanish films on the cinemas in Madrid. In the past few years there have been lots of good Spanish films and they have become very popular.

Have you heard of Alejandro Amenabar. He's a young director whose films have been a great success. Try Tesis or Abre los ojos. Tom Cruise met Alejandro and he loves his films. He even bought the script of Abre los ojos and has plans to make an american version of the film.

I don't know much about cinema but people say they are doing it very well nowadays.

Check out Guía del Ocio website for the current films .

Regards,

Antonio

PS: El Boquerón, Cine de Barrio is on TVE-1 but I don't think people will understand that kind of movies. They were made in a different historic background. I would try the new ones.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#65880 - 09/16/00 07:31 AM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
Cine de bario on TVE can have some funny films on and they tend to be of an 'innocent' nature made around the 60s and 70s. I usually have a look to see whats on come Saturday afternoon.
Incidently the ones I recommended above are not 'innocent' especially Matador.

[This message has been edited by steveaqui (edited 09-16-2000).]

#65881 - 09/16/00 04:00 PM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
Catherine Offline

Cine del barrio on TVE-1 sounds a lot like what I'm looking for, actually. Some of Spain's best movies (Furtivos, Mama Cumple Cien Anos, etc.) were made during the 1970s. What you guys are describing as "innocent" films reminds me of destape comedies like Lo vierde empieza en los Pirineos, etc. Or do you mean even older stuff? Do they show neorealist classics like Calle Mayor or Muerte de un ciclista? Or old Saura films?

It's easy to get Almodovar films in the U.S.; I am looking for films that I can't see over here. Are these classics available in video rental stores?

#65882 - 09/16/00 04:04 PM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
Catherine Offline

I wanted to add to Antonio, I am not sure if you heard about this but apparently Amenabar is shooting a film in English right now with Nicole Kidman (Cruise's wife) as the star. I told one of my Spanish professors this and he made me promise not to tell him any more, he was so ashamed (selling out to Hollywood, etc.)

#65883 - 09/16/00 05:43 PM Re: Spanish films in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Catherine,

I would like to warn you that, in case you wanted to buy videotapes here in Spain, we don't use the same color system that there in America.

In Europe we use Pal, whereas in America you use the NTSC system. I have seen a few videos here that can play NTSC tapes on PAL TVs but I don't you if you can get it the other way round (ie, American NTSC videos being able to play PAL tapes).

There are also problems with DVDs. There were specially designed so they weren't compatible (they didn't want people to bring films from America when they haven't been released in Europe). Thus, America, Europe, Asia... have different systems. However, it's quite easy to break the protection they have, but I'm not going to talk here about illegal things ;-)

As for your Spanish professor, I don't understand why is ashamed. Amenabar's films have been very popular here and he is taking advantage of his friendship to become popular and make more films.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3019 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments