Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#89101 - 02/11/11 09:54 AM Breaking a mobile phone contract (Orange)
colenot Offline

Okay, so how do you break a contract with a phone service here?

I have Orange and I just looked at the contract again for the first time since I started their service about 8 months ago. The contract was in storage at my wifes parents house.

To my surprise, it looks like they pulled a bait and switch on me.

My Spanish is basic-medium, but it was much more basic 8 months ago.

At the time, my wife and I were separating so one phone was supposed to be on an 18 month contract and the other was month to month without a contract.

Anyways, I was absolutely certain that he showed me the contract that showed these terms. I then signed it.

Looking at the copy they gave me, it doesn't have my signature and the terms are different. They show her on an 18 month contract too.

Scandalous.

I doubt he will remember me if I go back there. I only saw them that one time.

How do you cancel a phone contract? What happens?

What if I just stopped paying? Is there a credit system here that will affect me?

Thanks

#89105 - 02/12/11 06:31 AM Re: Breaking a mobile phone contract (Orange) [Re: colenot]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
the contract have a duration period, like you said 18 months, if you stay with the same company you can negotiate a way out, if not you pay the remainder of the contract. If you have for example 6 mos to go on it, you pay for the 6 months sometimes at one time or sometimes they let you pay it monthly. Its a contract. I have Orange too, never a problems and have five phones with them! but in France ::)

#89137 - 02/19/11 12:33 PM Re: Breaking a mobile phone contract (Orange) [Re: pedmar]
colenot Offline

Whats the point of paying the amount equal to 6 months payments to terminate your contract with 6 months left? You may as well just keep using the service for another 6 months.

I believe it's in the neighborhood of 110-250 euros to cancel, if I am reading the contract correctly.

What gets me is how they bait and switched me concerning the second phone which, when he showed it to me on the paper, it was "sin compromiso," which is what I requested as my wife and I were separating.

It is what it is and until I make it over to Las Rozas again to deal with it, I'm just going to go with it for now.

#89143 - 02/20/11 05:46 AM Re: Breaking a mobile phone contract (Orange) [Re: colenot]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Well without reading your contract its the best afar that I can do. But here when you cancel a contract, you need to pay the obligation to the end. So you have sometimes they ask to pay in full or sometimes they let you continue paying it monthly until the end of the contract date. Either way you pay the same amount.You no longer use it even if continue paying out your contract obligation until the end.
Hope it helps you undertand the deals here.

#89148 - 02/20/11 12:25 PM Re: Breaking a mobile phone contract (Orange) [Re: pedmar]
colenot Offline

Okay. Thanks for you help!

#89151 - 02/20/11 05:52 PM Re: Breaking a mobile phone contract (Orange) [Re: colenot]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Colenot - this is very well timed ( for me ) .I've been back in England for about a week now having lived in Madrid for 5 years and have a contract with Vodaphone España . I certainly didn't pay anything for the contract and cannot see any duration for the contract . I paid by monthly direct debit from my Spanish bank account but I closed that account before I left Madrid . Vodaphone , today , just cut me off but , no doubt , want the last bill paid . If there's any chance they´ll ask me to pay cash to break the conract I may just walk away ( that's terrible I know ) as they certainly did not explain costs to break a contract .
I'll be going on line tomorrow to check it out and if I have more info I'll post it .
By the way - the only contact they have for me is the telephone number and the ,now empty , Madrid address ........

#89152 - 02/21/11 08:18 AM Re: Breaking a mobile phone contract (Orange) [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

That is different if you walk away and leave Steve. I have contracts with duration for all my five phones because can get better rates.If you plan on staying and need a phone you go by the contract ::)
One needs to read the contract when you first sign up for the services to really tell the situation.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2086 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments