Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86624 - 02/20/10 04:36 AM Blood brothers
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
A documentary about the Ordonez brothers , its the full version of a interview that was released some time ago

#86625 - 02/20/10 06:56 AM Re: Blood brothers [Re: eskimo joe]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
That´s an amazing documentary Joe . Thank you for posting it . Truly fantastic . I had no idea Cayetano spoke English so perfectly ( obviously he had a great education considering his wealthy family ) .. Had I known I probably would´ve approached him when we were in a shop together recently in Madrid ... I didn´t want to approach him because I wanted to make sure I was 100% polite and wasn´t sure my Spanish would be good enough .
I loved the quote about going into the bullring and faceing the bull was "like touching your finger to heaven" .. Beautiful . Thanks for making my day Joe !!

#86627 - 02/20/10 08:35 AM Re: Blood brothers [Re: steve robinson]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Thank you, Joe. I just watched the whole thing and like Steve said, it was amazing. I have been writing about bullfighting lately and this was most informative. Wow those guys are handsome!

#86628 - 02/20/10 08:58 AM Re: Blood brothers [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Teachertraveler8 . Cayetano , specifically , has been featured in Vanity Fair and American Vogue as well as many popular Spanish magazines . There are a number of toreros: Cayetano , Miguel Abellán , Manzanares , El Juli etc , etc , that supplement their already huge bullfighting incomes with modelling work . It's sort of a "beauty and the beast " or "gladiator" mentality .
I just bought the weekly bullfighing magazine ( 6 toros ) .. Sevilla is already advertising some huge bullfights ( important toreros ) .

#86630 - 02/20/10 10:47 AM Re: Blood brothers [Re: steve robinson]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I will have to pick up some bullfighting magazines when I am there. Would they be appropriate to have in an elementary school classroom or are they quite graphic? (with blood and such) The children are quite fascinated by bullfighting, although most don't realize that the bull dies. In the clip Joe posted, there was a brief excerpt about the nice life the bulls lead prior to the ring.

Can I get those magazines at one of the kiosks on the street?

Gracias!

#86640 - 02/21/10 12:50 PM Re: Blood brothers [Re: teachertraveler8]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
indeed nice video ,thanks for sharing it. and yes right by kiosks selling them all over, especially I used to buy mine at Las Ventas,not far from where I used to live.
this site liste a bunch for references
http://asp.las-ventas.com/noticias/enlaces.asp

#86642 - 02/21/10 01:29 PM Re: Blood brothers [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Teachertraveler8 - I have a reasonably good library of bullfighting magazines .. I would say that they are not ( 95% ) graphic . They may show a few photos of the torero being hit but nothing really graphic . I should say , however , that if you go to the Plaza Mayor and to the great "Torre de Oro - Bar Andaluz " you go inside and check out the photos ... they are graphic ! I advise it only from a "novelty" point of view .... If you´re easily offended then please don´t go .
The magazines are pretty much available all over Madrid , though you will find them easier near the Plaza de Toros . I buy them at kiosks in Ventas but also at high profile stores like OpenCor ( a supermarket )

#86646 - 02/21/10 07:27 PM Re: Blood brothers [Re: steve robinson]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I recently visited the Las Ventas site las-ventas.com and found out that the season there starts on March 14. There is at least one fight there every weekend through Easter including a full corrida on the 28th. I just may venture out during my late March trip.

#86647 - 02/22/10 02:52 AM Re: Blood brothers [Re: Mongo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Give us a call Mongo ! Then before the bullfight we can go to somewhere like "Los Timbales" ..for una copa de vino tinto and after the bullfight we can go Los Clarines for Rabo de Toro , a bottle of Albariño , Chipirones etc ...

#86648 - 02/22/10 03:07 AM Re: Blood brothers [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Wouldnt mind seeing the one on the 28th myself , Curro Diaz is one of my favourite matadors to watch . The one the following week could be good as well with Daniel Luque fighting six bulls.
The bullfighting magazines are available at all news stands , just ask them for it, you will be there all day trying to spot them yourself .

Like Steve says the Torre de Oro is a bit of a novelty and most of the gore is bullfighters getting gored etc.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2030 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments